Sunday, September 13, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR DA PERCOLATOR


These are old favorites that you hear at every party. I think I'll pick them up at the iTunes store.



The girl who posted this said it's not a percolator dance, but it sure works with that beat.



Great Percolator (above)! I love the way the dance intensifies after a bit and gets white hot. It's the plunger sounds that whip people into a frenzy.



No music on the video (above), but this girl does a nice Wu Tang.



Teeny boppers love "Barbie Girl!" (above). There's a million home-made versions of it on YouTube.



Above, the classic Numa Numa video. Some people have heard this so many times that they run out of the room when it starts, but I haven't reached that point yet.



"Hey Mickey" (above) is probably playing at parties in Timbuktu as you read this. A true dance classic. It's always followed by Joan Jett.



I hate to think how old this song is...maybe 1981?...but it still get's me going.






10 comments:

Vincent Waller said...

The last guy is able to mimic Kirby mouths.

Unknown said...

The Numa numa only annoys me a tad bit. I haven't run from any rooms yet.

Zoran Taylor said...

My Dad LOVES "One Step Beyond". He can't hear it without A) dancing to it and B) retelling, for the millionth time, how Madness had a dance instructor at their concerts when he saw them, and how they got everyone doing the moves. Total coincidence: Someone on TV just made some reference to his other favorite - Elvis Costello. What an era!

Jennifer said...

OMG, I love One Step Beyond from Madness! That song is killer!

Hey Mickey is an annoying song but I have to give it a few points for the video's originality and for Toni Basil. She's one of the best modern choreographers out there. She's been around forever.

The Barbie Girl song is pretty funny. I remember reading in (I think) Rolling Stone that the song was really about the sexualization of young women and how Barbie is an example of how women are made to believe that they'll never be successful unless they're a sex kitten, but the boppy beat made people think it was just a fun song about Barbie dolls. The other funny thing about the song is Mattel tried to sue Aqua (the singers) for copyright infringement (and lost) - today, Mattel is using that song for the new Barbie commercials!

Ricardo Cantoral said...

The Percolator ? LOL. Yes this is the first I heard of this. I want to an Uncle Eddie verison ! :D

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer, Niki: Yeah, it's amazing how many top party hits also appear on most annoying, and most cheesy lists.

Even if you think they're cheesy you still have to use them because, whatever their faults, they're danceable all the way through. Lots of songs are danceable only in the chorus or the extended middle.

I'm glad Mattel lost that lawsuit.

Vincent: A real Jack Kirby mouth! I don't know how he did it!

Zoran: An instructor at their concerts? Good idea!

Zoran Taylor said...

Yeah, they had the musician and then they had their "Dancer". I believe he's even credited as such on the album sleeve, even though you can't, uh....hear him. Such was ska.

Trevor Thompson said...

Hey Eddie, you forgot the 'Macarena'.

BTW, I know it's off topic, but I thought since your last post showed off the muppets, I would show off a little too.

Here's a green screen test I did with my puppet character Manx.

Enjoy!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Trevor: Looks good! Start making YouTube shows with him!

Trevor Thompson said...

Thanks Eddie!

I'll be doing shows on the internet with him if I'm unable to pitch the show he's with to executives.

Thanks for watching!