Thursday, October 14, 2010

ELISABETH SANXAY HOLDING: MYSTERY WRITER

No, this house (above) isn't from one of Elisabeth Holding's film adaptions, it's from "House on Telegraph Hill," which has nothing to do with Holding. I include it because so many of Holding's stories take place, "Jane Eyre"-like, in large, spooky houses. It seemed like the right way to illustrate an article about one of the queens of 30s and 40s noir, the writer Raymond Chandler called the best suspense writer he knew of....Elisabeth Holding.

You have to read this author! I've read four of her books so far, each one a gem. If you only have time for two, start with "The Blank Wall," then move on to "Miasma." Holding is a master of surprise. Even as you read these books you'll find yourself asking again and again how she manages to keep the suspense so intense. I think I know the answer, and I'm dying to tell you what it is, but if I do it'll ruin the stories for you.


BTW, I read most of these stories in old library volumes, some of them first editions. The type from the 30s and 40s was elegant, easy to read, and beautifully spaced on the page. The paper was thick and pulpy, and had a nice smell...something like old construction paper. The books felt like the products of craftsmen. They felt good in my hands.

On the other hand, you could make a good case for owning the recent reprints. The new paperbacks are nicely laid out, and you usually get two books for the price of one. If you're a student of writing you'll want to own them so you can underline and make notes about the technique.

 

6 comments:

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Rooni, Roberto: Sorry I had to delete your comments on the previous incarnation of this post. I botched the writing of that version and there was nothing for it but to start over again. I didn't think to copy and paste your comments here.

Steven M. said...

No worries, Eddie. I'll have to check Amazon for the books.

thomas said...

Thanks for the post.

Have never heard of her before.

will keep an eye out.

Severin said...

I know what you mean about old books! One of my best jobs was as an archivist's assistant, and I came face to cover with books that were 150 years old, the pages stiff and brittle but the type and illustrations as vibrant as anything printed today. Even now, I collect old books for the gorgeous binding, designs inlaid in the leather cover, or the beautiful pen and ink illustrations inside.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any older printings of Elisabeth Holding.

ComiCrazys said...

Eddie - Totally off-topic, I finally dug-out my copy of that Lettering book you were curious about from the comicrazy.com site. I'd still be happy to send it to you if you haven't already purchased it. Just send me an email and I'll get it out to you on Monday.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Eddie. I don't mind having my comment deleted at all. I'll still look out for and read these novels when I have the chance to.