Saturday, January 29, 2011

OVERWEIGHT/UNDERWEIGHT

No doubt about it, skinny and fat are funny.  It's hard to make fun of skinny people, though. It's actually fashionable to be skinny now. 

Emos made it hip to be that way. Have you seen the jeans guys are wearing now?


Maybe it was always hip to be thin. I mean, look at Sinatra. He could walk in the rain without getting wet.

 Guys like that probably get beaten up a lot in high school, but the ones who survive have it made for the rest of their lives. 


Girls love skinny guys. Frank needed body guards to fend them off.


Thankfully the gods of comedy have supplied us with overweight people in abundance. The problem is, that they're too easy a target. It's hard to think of a fat joke that hasn't been done before. 


That's why I think stocky is the new fat. There's plenty of stocky people, and stocky is funny. You just know that there's millions of stocky jokes just waiting to be written.


Stocky is everywhere. It's what happens when your body expands in every direction, not just your stomach and hips.


So that's my resolution for 2011: learn to draw stocky.  Revel in it. Try to understand the stocky universe.


BTW: I need to take a few days off. I'll be back Wednesday night, Feb. 2nd!


6 comments:

Steven M. said...

Fat jokes are always funny, but your right, it's hard to think up a fat joke that hasn't been done before.

Brubaker said...

Your remark on how its hard to think up fat jokes that hasn't been done before explains it for me.

I always hate it when TV shows/movies/whatever would do fat jokes, and I never understood why until I read your post; many of them were done before.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I did a drawing of a really chunky, fat woman from my own head a few days ago and her mildly skinny fiance in one of my sketchbooks, but it looked nowhere near as funny (although really grotesque looking) as these real life cartoon characters you just posted. I should also make drawing funnier, stocky characters a prime priority in 2011. One of your best ideas yet, IMO.

Stephen Worth said...

Husky is the new politically correct term.

Anonymous said...

Hello

I think you should see the work of Botero

Jorge Garrido said...

My New Years resolution was to become husky.