Wednesday, March 02, 2011

MY FLYING DREAMS

This is about a recurring dream that I used to have when I was a kid.


It was always about flying. I was obsessed with it. Maybe it's because I learned to walk on one of those bouncy toddler thingies (above) that were all the rage back then.


None of the other kids could fly but I was certain that I would figure it out. When I got a little older I realized that I was wasting my time. People couldn't fly because they're just not built for it. What we are built for is jumping, and if you jump high enough it's just like flying....so I began to dream about jumping.


Finally I managed to make it work, at least in dreams. In dreams I could jump as high as the rooftops.


In my best dream of all, I jumped all the way downtown, into the big city. It was great!


Most people (above) weren't even aware that I was overhead.


Admiring girls (above) waved to me from open windows.


Occasionally (above) I'd stop to rest on a rooftop or flagpole. 


In this dream I figured I'd head out to the seashore to get a slice of pizza. 


I landed on the roof of a beach shack but the lady that lived there got mad and chased me away. 


Wanting to get away from there fast, I did a big running jump into the air way over the sea. It was my biggest leap ever. About half a mile out I came down on a tiny platform (above) on a long pole sticking out of the water.


I carefully sat down, and took in the immensity of my surroundings. 


Overhead the clouds put on a show for me. I saw what looked like a cat chasing a school bus, and a giant profile of Lincoln.


It was spectacular, but I began to feel lonely. I had no one to share it with. 
  

I must have been looking at the clouds for a long time because when I looked at the sea (above) again it was a lot rougher than before. I became aware of the menace posed by the unimaginable volume of the sea water.



Cold winds blew, and it began to rain. The pole swayed back and forth, and I had trouble holding on. A nearby boat was nearly swamped. I knew if I fell into the water there would be no rescue. 


As if things weren't bad enough, night was coming. Somehow I knew that attempting to leap back to land wouldn't work. I had to face the fact that I'd probably never survive the night. 



It all seemed so crazy and pointless.  What meaning does my life have if it can be snuffed out so easily? And why do I have to die out here, where nobody can even see it? All the pain of freezing and drowning...WHY? What purpose does it serve?

This is where I'd always wake up.



9 comments:

Steven M. said...

Thats some dream there, Eddie. I've have a few bizzare dreams before, but they didn't involved flying.

Craig said...

Falling is like flying -- for a little while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRr-Fb5xQo

A Koszis said...

Hmmm I also had lots of dreams about jumping far distances. Though unlike yours I was usually running away from zombies or monsters.The feelings of flying through the air so great. I think I would have liked my jumping dreams more if they weren't so focused on being terrible nightmares.

Max Ward said...

did you really have these dreams? If so, you found really good pictures to illustrate the dream with.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Max: It's about 85% factual. I had lots of varients of this dream.

Norman Quebedeau said...

One of my most vivid dreams when I was a child was of floating/traveling everywhere at between three and five feet over the ground. Swimming through the air a little (not a lot) above everything was as natural as walking.

I wonder what all my dreams about locomotives at night meant.

It's time for my nap.

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

I am a lucid dreamer. As a child I had variations on how to get airborne: the jump, (which you've mentioned), running and flapping my arms, diving from a rooftop or elevation, and eventually from a standing position like Superman.

That's as much as care to reveal because those men with the butterfly nets are hard to out run.

Martin Olson said...

best post ever

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Martin: HAW!