Sunday, August 10, 2014

GETTING A HAIR CUT

Here I am (above), about to get my hair cut at the local beauty school.


Friends think I get my hair cut by students because I'm cheap. Let me answer that. See the guy above? That's your barber. 


See the student above? That's my barber. 'Need I say more?


Hmmm, maybe the average is a bit more like this (above), but you see my point.




There are male students too, but so far I haven't gotten one of them.


It's a school so the haircut doesn't always turn out. That's the risk you take. Most of the time it turns out okay. 


I imagine that cosmetology students must acquire a lot of equipment. A lot of what you see here (above) is for cutting women's hair. 


If you want to cut men's hair then you have to add even more (above) to your kit. If you want to cut black people's hair then there's still more products and accessories to buy. Geez, cutting hair isn't cheap!

 What's a beauty student's life like? I'm guessing that it's dominated by the hip girls in class. Other girls must be in awe of them.


I've only known one beauty school teacher. She was elegant and sophisticated and spoke with an aristocratic East European accent.  Outside of class, in the bright sunshine, she might appear to be normal. In the mysterious world of the beauty school she was Pharaonic royalty.


Okay, I'm no expert on what goes on in beauty schools, but I know an interesting atmosphere when I see it. It's bracing to be around people who are getting started in life and are full of hope and energy.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

If I'm able to eventually move out of my mom's house and live on my own, that will be one of the first things I will try. I've always gotten my hair cut done by Dominican men and it would be a breath of fresh air to mix that up a bit. Gotten quite a lot of college work out of the way and taking my first accounting classes this Fall so I can't wait.

jimmy kinkade said...

I'll tell you what happens at beauty schools. Cigarette breaks. Lots of cigarette breaks.