Wednesday, November 07, 2007

CLARA BUTT SINGS "LAND OF HOPE & GLORY"


You've heard this music before under the title "Pomp & Circumstance." In America it's the standard music played at school graduations. What you might not have heard is the core of that music performed as a song with some of the most stirring British patriotic lyrics ever written.
The version linked to here is my all-time favorite by Clara Butt ( yes, that's her name), who recorded it in 1911. Clara sounds the way Margeret Dumont from the Marx Bros films might have sounded, if Dumont could have sung. The voice sounds funny for a moment but when you get used to it, it's immensely moving and sincere.
Here's Clara's autograph on a picture of Britannia. It's a big, sentimental, and dignified signature, full of character. It's said that when you acquire character, you acquire a destiny. Clara's destiny was to be a major support for English morale during WWI.
I actually have an original autograph of hers, given to me by Steve Worth, who's also a Butt fan.....um, maybe I should have rephrased that. Anyway, thanks, Steve!
Here's (below) the lyrics for "Land of Hope and Glory. " Just to establish a mood I thought I'd combine them with a picture that would call to mind the glory days of the British Empire. Sad to say, I didn't find any first-rate pictures on that subject, so here's (above) a picture on a related subject, that of British sea power. This is from the Battle of the Nile, fought during the war with Napoleon.


LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY

Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned.
God make thee mightier yet!
On Sov'ran brows, beloved, renowned,
Once more thy crown is set.
Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,
Have ruled thee well and long;
By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,
Thine Empire shall be strong.

Land of Hope and Glory,
Mother of the Free,
How shall we extol thee,
Who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider
Shall thy bounds be set;
God, who made thee mighty,
Make thee mightier yet.

Thy fame is ancient as the days,
As Ocean large and wide:
A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,
A stern and silent pride:
Not that false joy that dreams content
With what our sires have won;
The blood a hero sire hath spent
Still nerves a hero son.


Here's (below) where the song can be found on an mp3 format. If you intend to listen to it more than once, will you download it to your own computer so we don't tax the bandwidth of the parent site?
If the link doesn't work (it looks like the final "l" is missing), just google the title of the song.

21 comments:

Steven Finch, Attorney At Law said...

My, what range Ms. Butt has!

Also, some pages end in "htm" instead of "html"--it just makes the internet more fun. In this case, the page you're linking to does, so you're still in good shape.

Pseudonym said...

Just to explain, in case anyone's read it and is curious: The Terry Pratchett book, "The Last Continent", features an opera singer named Nellie Butt. In case you were curious, she's a mix of two Australian opera singers from around the turn of the century: Nellie Melba and Clara Butt.

Anonymous said...

Cool post, but that whole "hail Britannia" thing is what is wrong with Englands culture

Anonymous said...

And please don't counter with a "whats wrong with patriotism" reply since you KNOW thats not what I was getting at

Jenny Lerew said...

Great!

I love British traditional/patriotic music...my favorites are the one that's sung at the wonderful Proms every finale, "Rule Brittannia"( it's usually only heard in cartoons etc. via the first two stanzas), and "I Vow To Thee My Country" which is a very lovely and moving number as well.

Chris S. said...

Interesting stuff as always, Eddie. Her voice is very distinctive and has a Julia Child-like quality!

pappy d said...

Wow! That's exactly how I'd imagine Britannia herself to sound. It's feminine but with balls.

I knew it as "Lloyd George Knew My Father" growing up.

anonymous: I know what you mean, but don't think it won't happen here sooner or later.

Anonymous said...

*sob* beautiful! *sob*

Oh, dear, I'm afeard my tears may stain my petticoat.

MikeSnj said...

Very interesting.

Lester Hunt said...

Thanks again Eddie! Now I can said loud and say it proud: I am a Butt-man! Also, I think Edward Elgar is one of the most underrated composers ever.

Anonymous said...

Id say that an affection for Elgar is something that will get you genially condescending smiles from people who know anything about classical music

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jenny: I never heard "I Vow to Thee" before you mentioned it. I listened to it on YouTube and read the lyrics. Very moving! Thanks!

Chris: Julia Child! Yes, of course! That's a better comparison than Mrgaret Dumont.

Vincent Waller said...

When the Butt sings...I listen.

Jenny Lerew said...

yay!

btw I believe the music to "I Vow to Thee" is actually from Holst's "The Planets".

Anonymous said...

All I can say, is that I never, NEVER, have I heard such a moving, yet powerful song. Thank you for uploading such a melody, Eddie!

From an inspiring cartoonist/ artist

Bruce

I.D.R.C. said...

"Hail, hail, Freedonia..."

Max Ward said...

She is good, but kind of sounds like Tiny Tim

Anonymous said...

Just a couple of things:

1.) "CLARA BUTT"?! BWA-HAHAHAHAHAAA!!;
2.) Homegirl sounds like Aunt Bee from THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW;
3.) I'm surprised nobody here has taken this to its logical "SPUMCO-esque conclusion, i.e. a huge singing bovine with the music coming from her (wait for it...)
BUTT!!

(No offense intended to you art-lovers, of course, just a li'l ol' cartoonist riffin' on the obvious...;-)

Anonymous said...

Actually, as one can hear on the soundtrack of "Duck Soup," Margaret Dumont could sing rather well, and did so on the Broadway stage and in Marx Brothers movies. And yes, she was a contralto! "Hail, hail, Freedonia, land of the brave and free" is not very far from what you posted from the wonderful Dame Clara. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

My mother is in possession of a piano autographed by the late Clara Butt. We figure that Dame Clara and her hosts were singing around the piano and then before leaving she was asked to sign the inside of the piano as a memento for the hosts. While we are sure that someone out there would love to own such a wonderful piece of classical memorabilia, we have no idea how to reach them. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Lauren
lesbfrenz@live.com
ontario, Canada

Anonymous said...

I also have a piano signed by Clara Butt. Did your mom ever find out anything else about it?