Sunday, August 17, 2008

PAPER CASTLES

One of the best things about having kids is that you get to get to make cool stuff with them, like paper castles. Most of the ones I and my kids made looked like the one above; not very imaginative really, just a kazillion spires and pennants held together with scotch tape.


It's a good thing that I hadn't seen this picture (above) in those days because if I had, I would have been seduced into making really elaborate castles that I wouldn't have wanted to see smashed. Smashing dad's precious castle is just about the most fun thing a kid can do. It could be that a rubber T-Rex smashes it, or a plastic Batman or fighter plane bombs it...there are lots of ways a kid will demolish it, but demolish it they will, probably within 15 minutes after it's built.


Look at that sucker (above)...that guy really put a lot of work into it! He must have been a bachelor!


Here's a nice one (above) that looks a slum dwelling on the edge of one of Dr. Seuss's cities.


Boy, you add color to these things (above) and they look great!


It's a bit off-topic but I couldn't help putting up this picture (above) of a tower built with empty cardboard boxes. If I did this and my kid destroyed it, Armageddon would ensue.


I once saw a built-up paper sculpture of St. Basil's cathedral, for my money one of the most beautiful buildings on the planet. The sculpture was made from one of those craft store books where you cut out a zillion tiny parts and glue them together. I don't know who buys those kits. Only prisoners have the time to make those things, and they're not allowed to have scissors.


14 comments:

Steven Finch, Attorney At Law said...

Interesting you should post this. I'm not much of a paper craftsperson at all, really, but a few days ago I was inspired--who knows by what--to build a paper replica of Archie Bunker's living room, and by God I did it. And all with one piece of paper, too!

Adam Tavares said...

I put together a paper model of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona a few years ago. Those were dark times.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie, I don't know if you already knew this but that first castle is from Miyazaki's movie Howl's Moving Castle.

It's a really great design.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Ollie: I thought I'd seen that somewhere before!

Anonymous said...

Pardon this not having anything to do with the post, but I would like to brag that I snagged a copy of Milt Gross Funnies #1 off eBay. Yep, that's right. You know you want it, readers of Theory Corner. Eddie, do you have a copy?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Phantom: Number 1? wow, that's great! Why not post a copy somewhere?

Anonymous said...

Well, I would post it if I had a blog and Photoshop, but, sadly, I have neither. If I ever get those things, I'll try and post the comic.

Kirk Nachman said...

Less Gross and more Grosz.

kellie said...

The big castle made of cardboard boxes is terrific.

Here's something related: paper lighthouses.

Anonymous said...

Rudy: George Grosz is a great, very underrated artist, and so is Milt Gross. More both of them!

I.D.R.C. said...

...If I ever get those things, I'll try and post the comic.

Lend it to Steve Worth.

Anonymous said...

i.d.r.c.: What do you mean, "lend it" to him? If you're suggesting I mail a prized possession to someone I know next to nothing about, I think you might be a little crazy. Meh, aren't we all. I got the thing within seconds of the bidding closing. I got into a bidding war and it ended up costing me 56 bucks. 62, if you count shipping. It has seen better days; it has two pieces of tape on the spine and a tiny, about 2 millimeter ball-point pen scribble, but hey, the last time I saw one of these offered in was last year on Heritage auctions. I'm not gonna wait for a better copy to come along.

Anonymous said...

that Seussian one looks to be made from one single sheet undevided. We had to do that for entry into design school. Didn't see anything even close to that awesome though.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Gavin: One piece!? If it is the artist was pretty clever!