Saturday, December 20, 2008

MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS PICTURE BOOK


I may have written about this before, I'm not sure. Oh well, if I did I think you'll find the subject worth returning to. This is my family's favorite Christmas picture book: "Santa Claus and His Elves," written and illustrated by a Finnish author, Mauri Kunnas.


My kids like the story; me, I like the pictures of the wooden furniture.  Check out this kid's desk (click to enlarge). I love the proportions: wide and low with a beautiful blue stain on what's probably pine wood. Pine is an under-rated wood, though in real life I'd prefer a heavier wood (or maybe a thicker slab of pine) for the top. The bookshelf, bed and rug are also worth looking at. They're simple and elegant, very cozy, and the shapes and volumes work together very nicely. In real life this would make a great kids or guest room.




More of that stained wood again (above). Is stain really a practical preservative? It sure looks nice. I like the way the elves live in such close proximity, yet seem to have no trouble getting along. This book is a Utopian vision showing craftsman who all like to live and work together.



Here's (above) a detail from a long picture showing the elves eating dinner at the end of a long work day. That stove/hearth is beautiful!




You'd think yellow-stained furniture (above) would be too bright, but I'll bet in real life this muted yellow would work just fine.



Continuing on a Christmas theme, here's (above) The Nativity by Bell Telephone and the Beaton Marionettes. I saw this every year when I was growing up, and it has great sentimental value for me. One reason I like it, is because it's so completely earnest. I've seen lots of biblical movies and TV specials, and none presented the story as simply and intelligently as it's done here.



This (above) also has importance for me because it's where I picked up my love of the human speaking voice. I got it when I was a kid from listening to Alexander Scourby's narration of this very film. Thanks to him I love to hear novels, plays, poetry, essays etc. read by first-rate readers. He also did the narration for the marionette version of "The Night Before Christmas" below.



Once again, Scourby hits it out of the park! 



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Eddie. I have to find that book! Who's the publisher?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Darby: Crown Publishers. I got it in 1985 so it maybe it's out of print.

Aaronphilby said...

Wow. i can't believe I haven't seen these. Only Rudolph and frosty and all that jazz. These are so remarkably well done, except I don't think they quite captured the "luster of mid-day."

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Eddie.

Wow! A search on Amazon found 2 copies. A paperback for $80, and a hardcover for $112!

This one'll be on the wishlist for a while. Ha-Ha.

William said...

I loved the sugarplums dancing in that last piece because that's my nickname for my daughter.

Hearing you describe why you loved each illustration reinstated my opinion that this is just the best damn blog in the world.

Trevor Thompson said...

Hey Eddie,

what do you think of 'Goodnight Moon'?

- trevor.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

William: Thanks much!

Trevor: My kids liked it. It's good bedtime reading for very little kids. When they got slightly older they always wanted me to read from Carl Barks comics. I had to argue them into listening to stories from books.

PJS said...

They certainly don't make books like that anymore!

Trevor, Eddie: Speaking of 'Goodnight moon' have you seen the dvd/vhs of it narrated by Susan Sarandon. The best part of it is when they interview all these Canadian kids on what they think about dreams, it's hilarious and very thought-provoking. My friends & I love to get together and watch them for a boisterous laugh. Yet they're still so profound!

mike fontanelli said...

Boring Jesus puppet in that clip. They should've used Rootie Kazootie, with his halo worn sideways.

Whoa! that's not a bad idea - I think I've stumbled onto something...

How about Andy Devine as Herod - being tormented by an impish Holy Ghost (played by Froggy the Gremlin, naturally). Maybe with White Fang, Pookie and Knucklehead Smiff as the three Wise Men?

Now THAT would've been a cool Nativity puppet show.

A.C said...

Thanks for posting an amazing book! Holy crap, given the sheer volume of Christmas-related stuff my mom bought us I can't believe I never saw that..

Hans Flagon said...

Mike was apparently thinking of the Nativity story where Jesus makes Mom move out, and she has to sleep in the barn because there is no room at the nursing home.

Because as we where taught in Sunday School, guys with beards = Jesus. And never listen to a narrative when you can watch it with the sound turned off.

My apologies for disrespect in the face of cognitive dissonance.

Amir Avni said...

Hi Eddie,
Recently I've made a post about Mark Steel, I'm not sure if you're familiar with his work, check it out, I think you'd enjoy his style: The Mark Steel Tribute

Trevor Thompson said...

A DVD of 'Goodnight Moon'?

I'm actually surprised Zemeckis and Spielberg haven't tried to 'animate' it and give the old woman Zooey Deschanel's voice, but they haven't.

Yet.

- trevor.

Jennifer said...

Hey Uncle Eddie,

Nice post for the holidays.

Not to change the subject - I finally posted a few videos on YouTube. It's only my voice, but it's a start. My blog has a link to the videos. They're "work related", but I wonder if they're candidates for the Love Nerds blog.

-- Jennifer

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer: I just listened to one of the videos! Holy Cow! You have a great voice: feminine and intelligent at the same time! I'll post it on Love Nerds later in the day!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Darby: Holy Cow! My paperback is worth $80!? That's good to know!

Amir: Wow! I watched one Steele video and it was great! I bookmarked it! Many thanks!

Mike: The Jesus puppet was boring!? No wonder...there wasn't a single Jesus scene in the film. There was no Jesus puppet!

Ricardo Cantoral said...

This is off topic but I finally think I found my favorite version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, the one with George C. Scott.

Ricardo Cantoral said...

BTW, check out the excellent Christmas cards made by Tex Avery, Hugh Harman, Rudy Isling, and Friz Freleng on Micheal Barrier's website.

Anonymous said...

Haw! Well, if you're ever hard up for cash, I'll be the first to make you an offer!

Glue some cardboard behind the covers and sell it for hardback price --I wouldn't know the difference.

Hans Flagon said...

I tend to conflate George C. Scott's Christmas Carol with his performance in They Might Be Giants, for some reason. Where Scott used deductive reasoning to examine Marleys Ghost.

Did anyone ever have a Christmas where there was a decision that Stockings hung by the Chimney with Care were "not happening this year"? The Year without a Stocking Stuffer?