Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"CRIME WAVE"

Thanks to recommendations from commenters Paul Penna and Mr. Goodson2, I just rented this film (above) from Netflix, and I'm happy to report that it's SENSATIONAL....a must see film for fans of noir, direction, mise-en-scene and Stirling Hayden.






































The trailer's on YouTube, but take my advice and skip it. It makes the film appear amateurish and boring, which it isn't. Instead take a look at this short video (above) about the film's director, Andre De Toth. He's the same guy who directed the underrated horror film, "House of Wax."


Jack Warner wanted to use Humphrey Bogart here, but De Toth held out for Sterling Hayden (not shown above), and it's a good thing he did. Hayden delivers what may be his best ever performance here.  I'd kill to do his detective character in animation.  That guy with the cards (above) does a pretty good job, too.






















The film is wonderfully composed and shot (much better than in the example above), which is doubly amazing when you consider that it was made on location in only 14 days.  De Toth is obviously the guiding genius, but I want to find out who did the camera work and lighting.  I even want to know who scouted the locations. De Toth's Los Angeles is like nothing you've ever seen before. 

Extras on the disk include "Decoy," a flawed but interesting noir film from 1946. The film runs out of gas fairly quickly, but the first 15 or 20 minutes are hilarious.  Also included is a Crime Wave commentary by none other than crime novelist, James Ellroy.  John K watched it with me and hated it because every time Ellroy saw something he liked he dog-panted into the microphone. I kinda liked it myself. 



10 comments:

Steven M. said...

I should check this movie out.

Also, by "dog-licked the microphone," you don't mean literaly licking the microphone do you?

Jorge Garrido said...

Andre De Toth did some of the best westerns of the 1950s, too. I highly recommend The Indian Fighter, which I bet you and John K would like.

Paul Penna said...

I was definitely in John K's boat the first time I tried to listen to the "Crime Wave" commentary - I lasted about five minutes, up until about the third time Ellroy started going "Ahggghlghhhlgl" again. But I became a huge fan of Eddie Muller's commentaries, so I eventually gave it another try and got through it. Muller seems amused by it all, but I kept visualizing him with a whip and a chair in a cage with Ellroy.

"The Lineup" isn't quite up to the same level - as Muller points out it starts as a police procedural, giving lots of attention to the TV series it was based on, but then it's as if director Don Siegel said, "Screw it, I want to make a psycho-killer flick." Again, almost totally filmed on location, this time one I was somewhat familiar with as a kid, the San Francisco of 1957. Muller is an actual SF native, and manages to get in some location detail while fending off Ellroy who, while not audibly salivating as in "Crime Wave" is just as outrageous.

Anonymous said...

So many great movies I've been dying to watch for a long time, but I always have little time for them. I'll have to add this one to the list as well. Film noirs are usually pretty awesome and dramatic, but I haven't seen as many as I should unfortunately.

Lester Hunt said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Eddie! I just ordered the DVD from my public library.

I don't get the "dog-licked" remark either. Also, if the first 20 mins. of Decoy are "hilarious," does that mean unintentionally?

Paul Penna said...

Well, let's put it this way re: Decoy - it's the only film noir I've ever seen that involves bringing the dead back to life. And that's _not_ a spoiler!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Rooni, Lester: I shouldn't have said that Ellroy licked the microphone. He just made loud licking noises, as if he were a dog showing his enthusiasm by licking his master.

Lester: Yes, unintentionally funny, but funny all the same. The first quarter of Decoy feels like a cartoonist made it.

You're lucky. My library won't put a hold on films or request them from other libraries.

Paul: I learned how to storyboard from studying Siegel films.

Jorge: The Indian Fighter? Thanks, I'll look for it! I just got Elmore Leonard's western novel "Hombre" from the library.

JohnK said...

He didn't dog-lick the mike, he panted like he was lusting after a naked woman - every 5 seconds

It was a great movie though

the compositions made out of people balanced against each other were brilliant

Every scene looked like an illustration by N.C. Wyeth

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirk Nachman said...

Big Sterling Hayden fan, I'll look for it.