Thursday, August 11, 2011

THE LATEST FASHIONS


Oops! I changed my mind! I was going to start with women's fashion (above), but I think I'll do the men's thing first. Don't worry, I'll come back to this.
Here's (above) the latest in men's suits. I kinda like it. I only wish I was thin enough to wear it.


Wow! A mod James Bond look! Interesting!


Cuffs are higher now. The Jerry Lewis look is back! 


This year's losers, the designs that didn't catch on, include the Lincoln-style frock coat.  Here (above) the coat is teamed with Jerry Lewis pants, but the combination doesn't work.


Failure never deters the frock enthusiasts. Next year they'll try again, and I imagine that one of these days they'll succeed. I hope they do, because that design lends itself to cartooning. Long coats and interesting hats make for funny silhouettes.


Colored suits are in this year, but I don't expect to see many on the street. How many people can afford a suit they can only wear a few times?


A colorful sport jacket, on the other hand...hmmmm, that (above) might actually catch on. The color that everybody seems to be interested in is indigo. Somebody figured how to dye high-chroma color onto jacket fabrics. 

The example in the picture looks like silk. Vast quantities of inexpensive silk have come out of China in recent years. They must have figured out how to make it without caterpillars, or maybe there are vast caterpillar farms in that country now. Don't wear a wool sweater if you visit China. The moth population there must be staggering.


Okay, what about those women's bikini pants? I don't know, I'm conflicted. As a dad and a solid citizen I think they're decadent, and a menace to society. As a guy, on the other hand, I think they should be absolutely mandatory for all women under 30. 


I asked a fashionable woman I know what the latest in womens gear is, and she said it was custom bras. They're selling like crazy. You get them fitted by specially trained technicians...a good job if you can get it. They're three times the price, but they last three times as long. 

That's not a custom bra above, but I like the picture.

Apparently there's a lot of variables in women's physiques that off-the-shelf bras don't take into account. Very few women are said to have a bra that fits. When it does fit, like the example above, the difference is said to be enormous.


9 comments:

tek! said...

good post!
the lengths of the suitjackets in the 1st images is ridiculously short. the red and blue jackets have much better lenghts and dont scream :'hey we were made for summer 2012!'

pappy d said...

Thanks for the update!

I'm glad to see the looser cut of men's pants. They got so tight that last year they tried to bring back fanny packs. For men.

Now I can can fret about my skinny ankles instead of how my package looks.

Anonymous said...

Well, I really don't hope the jeans with the fake bikini catches on. It's bad enough all the rappers who have an issue of wearing their pants.

- Glenn

JohnDoe123 said...

Love your thoughts on the modern day suit, Ed. Myself, as an aspiring animator, wish I could dress dashingly in the frocks worn by men like Clampett in studio photos and such. However, I can't afford that. So T-shirts, jeans and sneakers it is until then!

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

I'm with you there Damiano! I need to skulk around some thrift stores to find a nice, wrinkly cartoonists jacket. Anybody know the price range I might be looking at?

Also, where can I apply to fit women for their custom made bras?

tek! said...

Joshua:
http://putthison.com/tagged/Thrifting

Brubaker said...

That "colorful sport jacket" picture really reminds me of Lupin III, a popular cartoon from Japan.

I'm love some of the men's suits you presented. Pretty stylish (in a good way).

Jennifer said...

Nice post on fashion, Uncle Eddie. Longer jackets on men look really elegant.

It's true about the bras - a bra that FITS makes a major difference in a woman's figure.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joshua: I got my wrinkle jacket for $7.

One way to test a jacket is to put it on, button it, then lift your arms high above your head, so the jacket bottom rises with you. Put your arms down again, and if the jacket bottom stays up then you know you have a funny jacket.

Tek: Good advice!

Jennifer: Joshua said he'd help with the fitting!