Friday, February 24, 2012

A NEW WALLY WOOD BOOK!!!!!!!!


 By the time you read this it's probably too late.  You may as well shoot yourself because you already missed your chance to buy the most important comic art book of the decade: "Wally Wood's EC Stories: Artist's Edition." 

The artwork above isn't in the book, I just led with that because it's the best sample I could find of an original Wood page. That's what the book is: full size scans of Wood's original EC stories; the sci-fi stories, not the parodies he did for Mad. I swiped this scan from Pappy's excellent comics site: "Pappy's Golden Age Comics Blogzine."



Here's (above) the book cover. Geez, nobody did outer space like Wood! I found out about it from Viagri artist Milt Gray who jumped on it as soon as he discovered it. It arrived in the book stores on Wednesday and sold out immediately. Rumor has it that no further editions will be forthcoming. We may never see its like again. 


Here (above) it is. It's huge. The pages are the same size as the original artwork, and they're all in color.  What it is, is scans of the original art as it exists today. There was no attempt (Thank God!) to clean it up. The zip tone and chemical toner has turned brown, but that won't bother fans a bit. I'm told that you can see all the error corrections and scratch-offs. 

The price is $150.00, which is dirt cheap considering the quality of reproduction. It's already selling for more on e-bay.



*Sigh!* 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You may as well shoot yourself because you already missed your chance to buy the most important comic art book of the decade"

Really really poor choice of metaphor there Eddie.

The Mush said...

Sheez! I should've got this book, even though I'm more a fan of Wood's MAD stuff than his space stuff. Personally, the only guy who could match Wood in the space stuff that i've seen (being 14 and all) is Jack Kirby. Always love his space stuff too

Stephen Worth said...

Ordered. Thanks Eddie (and Milt!)

Anonymous said...

Oh man! What a shame I missed it. Could you at least post some of the first pages up online for free? That would be great to see a sample of the insides. I didn't even know there was even a limited edition Wally Wood collection coming out this year.

talkingtj said...

how the hell did wood do that?! for a guy who never finished art school his output is better than anyone else! its a shame he was so miserable and died the way he did, god only knows what drove him to it, but geeeezzz! what a talent!!

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Shoot! Another chance to get some great artistic material slips trough my fingers.

Fine art though and I like the sound of heels walking on the street "klek klek klek"

Jules said...

It's sold out. NOOOOOO!

Well I can't really afford stuff like that anyway but it does certainly seem like it was worth the price.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: I don't have a copy of the book, but I've seen it and it's pretty impressive. I wish a similar book could be made about his work for the early Mad.

If I had it, I don't know if I could scan a sample. The pages are much are much too big for my scanner platten.

Kathy said...

Zip-A-Tone, what a cool ride back in time.