Tuesday, July 24, 2012

THE MOST PRECIOUS THING IN THE WORLD

It all began with the death of the old hermit.  I was hiking off trail in a remote valley when I stumbled on what appeared to be a hermit's cave. After calling and getting no response I cautiously entered and soon discovered the skeletal remains of an old man underneath a ragged blanket.  Clutched in one hand was a hand-made map. The inscription read, "Follow these directions and discover The Most Precious Thing in the World."

I know what you're thinking, that what I held in my hand was just the raving of a crazy old man, but there was no mistaking what the map was wrapped around: a dazzling blue emerald the size of a quarter.

I used the emerald to finance a quest for the seven keys mentioned on the map. At the final location I'd need the keys to unlock something...I couldn't tell what. The quest took me to some of the most remote spots on Earth.


Some of the places I visited (above) weren't even on conventional maps.

For one of the keys I'd had to battle lions.


For another I was forced to run a gauntlet through screaming Maoris.


One thing all the key holders had in common.....


.....none of them wanted to give up their key without a fight.



One key was guarded by rabid bats (above).

Another by piranhas.


One I had to wrestle for.


Finally, weak and weary after years of questing,  I reached the hidden lake described on the map. According to that document I should find an island, and on that island I should find what I was looking for. I made a makeshift raft out of driftwood and set out.


On the island (above) I discovered magnificent gardens. They looked freshly tended, yet there wasn't a soul in sight.


The gardens led to a magnificent palace (above), and in that palace was a long, silent hall. Again....no people.


At the end of the hall was a dark, quiet garden with fragrant flowers and a reflecting pool. A door stood open.


Inside the dimly lit room was an ornately carved platform. On the platform was a box.

  The box (above) contained seven locks. I fumbled through my pocket for the keys.


One by one I inserted them.


My hands trembled...that malaria I'd had made the turning difficult.


At last, the final key!


Yessssss........



TO BE CONTINUED on THEORY CORNER.....................

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see this all animated. There aren't enough actual journey stories in animation that actually require this much character and personality to really accomplish.

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't think you could top the family reunion story, but this looks like it might.

Anonymous said...

Nail Biter!