Saturday, October 13, 2012

MILT TALKS ABOUT 3D TV


INT. BURGER RESTAURANT: 


MILT: "Okay, I gotta clear the table so I can tell you about the big thing that's coming up...."

EDDIE (VO): "Big thing?


MILT: "Yeah! My family and I are soon to become owners of...are you ready for this?...a (Ahem!)...55' Samsung 3D TV!  There's a clearance sale on and I can get it for a thousand bucks. That's a set that normally sells for three grand or more." 

EDDIE (VO): "A 3D TV!!??? Woooow! That's great!!!!! Invite me over! But how come it's so cheap? Samsung's a big brand."


MILT: "Ahhh, good question! The answer is that Samsung is debuting a new set called the 'Smart TV' that doesn't use a remote. It responds to hand commands.  You change the settings from your chair just by wiggling your hands."

EDDIE (VO): "Yikes! That's great...but it's not worth an extra two thousand bucks."


MILT: "Exactly! When I first heard about the Smart TV I thought, 'Oh, no! Another excuse to charge an arm and a leg for a TV!' Then I thought, 'Wait a minute! What are they gonna do with the old sets?' A friend called and told me about the sale and that clinched it. "


MILT: "Eddie, have you ever seen 3D on TV?"

EDDIE (VO): "Yeah, a while back in Best Buy, but the glasses were kinda clunky."

MILT: "Not any more. These glasses are low profile. Wearing them is like wearing Ray Bans...well, er...sort of. Anyway, they're only a small distraction. You just have to hold them close up to the set to activate them. The glasses are free, and so is the Blue Ray player. The store throws them in for the price of the set!"


MILT: "3D is amazing!!!!! I saw it over a friend's house. We watched excerpts from the 3D disks of 'Tangled' and 'Polar Express.' You wouldn't believe it. They looked great! Well...as great as those kind of films can look."


EDDIE (VO): "You don't hear so much about 3D TV these days. Maybe the sets didn't sell as well as expected."

MILT: "Yeah, it's hard to know if the industry will continue to support it. I think it will, but who knows? Maybe the prices are too high. I bet they'd sell a lot more TVs if the price was lower. Anyway, I'm happy because the price is a steal even without the 3D.

Oh, and I forgot to say that the set I want to get is made in Korea. My friend says you have to avoid stores like Frye's because their sets are likely made in China where the standards are lower." 


EDDIE (VO): "Hey Milt, do you mind if I put this on Theory Corner? Maybe somebody else'll save a buck on a set, just like you will."

MILT: "Sure, go ahead! If enough people buy 3D TVs, then it'll become standard!"

   

11 comments:

kellie said...

Don't think I'm going to buy a 3D TV very soon, but I love the way reading this post makes it feels like I'm right there in the restaurant with Milt and yourself - it's better than 3D!

Unknown said...

Have you ever thought about starting up your own podcast, Eddie? I can imagine that you'd do a great job at doing live reads for your sponsors. A lot of stand up comedians and radio personalities have jumped onto the bandwagon and for the most part, they have complete control over their content creatively. Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast, The Adam Carolla Show and Marc Maron's WTF are great examples of highly successful podcasts. I also think The Joe Rogan Experience does a good job incorporating a visual element into the podcast if you've ever watched those.

mike fontanelli said...

Milt sure is animated!

Brubaker said...

Alas, I'm not into 3-D, sadly, and hates how most movies these days are like that.

I just don't think it adds much to anything. Flat is more than good enough.

Hope Milt's enjoying 3D-TV, though. Maybe Smellovision is next (Carl Stalling sez: "It'll Never Work!")

kellie said...

Some faces for you -

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/10/15/john-claridges-boxers-round-one/

- do you know this blog?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Kellie: Wow! the boxer site you linked to is great! I can't wait to go back and see what else is there! Many thanks!

Thanks too for the comment on the dialogue technique. I love it but most of my friends won't do it with me.

Roberto: I didn't know people were putting ads on podcasts or that Joe Rogan was doing them. I'll look up the examples you mentioned. Thanks for the tip!

Brubaker: I'm hoping the right-around-the-corner next step will be 3D without the glasses, and with a more natural look.

Mike: Milt has a million great expressions!


Kyle said...

Have you tried the 3DS yet Eddie? Its obviously not ideal due to its screen size and small viewing angles but I think we're getting there.
People still gripe about getting headaches though which I'll never understand. 3D, glasses or not have never given me a headache. Unless you count the color coded glasses but I'm talking modern 3D here.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Kyle: Yeah I tried the glasses at Milt's house. They worked fine, and I experienced no headache.

I can't wait for the day when stations will broadcast in 3D but that may not happen til 3D without glasses is perfected. A magazine article I read claims that technique already exists but I've never seen it.

Stephen Worth said...

Tangled and Polar Express... hmmm...

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

Shameless self promotion here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/joel-brinkerhoff/stereoscopic-paintings/ebook/product-17455523.html

It's 3D and you don't need a TV.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joel: You have a book! Do you have a site devoted to the book? Lulu doesn't provide much detail.

Steve: Haw! Milt and I aren't endorsing Tangled and Polar Express, we're just commenting on the 3D technique in those films.