Friday, October 16, 2015

ECLECTIC DECORATING

I'll be moving to a part of the country that gets gloomy in the Winter and I want be sure the new house is cheerful and colorful. My plan is to compensate for the overcast by using a lot of interior white to bounce the available light around. I'll also go for an eclectic look that'll justify the use of bright color accents.

I like the room above a lot. If I can get something like that going I'll feel like I've accomplished something.



This room (above) has some interesting ideas. It's far from perfect, but it's white and colorful, succeeds in being challenging, and has a nice artsy feel.


 Hmmmm...a bit too girly and minimalist. I like some of the color, though, and the black Franklin Stove is a nice touch. I'll have to think about this.


I'm not a weaver or a fabric designer but I need an excuse to surround myself with the kind of color that you find in those trades.


My work area will probably be influenced by Julius Schulman's set up (above)...only with lots of color.


Some colorful Ralph Bakshi frame grabs on the bulletin board wouldn't hurt. Boy, Ralph has a good feel for color!  His "Last Days of Coney Island" film will debut on Vimeo at the end of the month.


3 comments:

Stephen Worth said...

How about this one? http://cfwphotography.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Architecture/Olson-House/i-h3hLmLg/1/L/Austere%25202nd%2520Floor%2520bedroom-L.jpg

nodnarB said...

woo! I love that shulman work space! There is a modern furniture place that opened up here in Bellingham. It's pretty ambitious for the area, so I'm not sure if it will go over well. BUT I would love to buy furniture there if I had the dough.

Brian O. said...

I don't recall where you're relocating to. I'm in a self-imposed exile in Iowa so I can appreciate any less-than enthusiastic feelings. I hope you consider teaching because what you have to offer is a Master Course in, well, all things of theory. Honestly, you'd be a big fish in a small pond.