Monday, February 29, 2016

EATING BREAKFAST

In artist families a sketch war can break out without warning, at any time. Here (above), on a normal day, on a normal morning,  my wife puts outs out breakfast cereal for my daughter and me, and I, as I often do,  pick up my sketchbook to record it.

 Little did I know that this day would be different because my daughter...who hates to be drawn...has decided to take a stand and fight back.


She eats her food in the most gross way possible, no doubt hoping that'll deter me from drawing her.

She peels off the crusts from her bread (something every parent hates to see for some reason), nibbles her bread into patterns, and taps out a song on her cereal bowl. 

   

All this drives my wife nuts and she makes small talk to cover up her anxiety. She's dying to say "YOUNG LADY! That's NOT the way we eat a meal at the breakfast table!!!!," but she restrains herself because I'm nudging her under the table, begging her to let my daughter go, so I can draw it. 




My kid takes full advantage, knowing how uncomfortable we are are. She rolls  her bread into a baseball and crams it into her mouth.  She masticates it, gorilla-style. My wife is appalled.

Finally my kid ends it all by putting up a wall of breakfast cereal around herself. Well, that's it. You can't draw what you can't see.



4 comments:

zillustration said...

Too funny! I can't believe how the stars align - I had done a "Breakfast Time" comic for the latest Magic Bullet comics newspaper here in Washington DC! Check it out! --- PLATE LICKING! Hiding behind Cereal Boxes!!! You're kid is right in line with my thinking!
http://zillustration.blogspot.com/2016/03/breakfast-time.html

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Z: Haw! Your cartoon brought back memories. When I was a kid I used to do all the things my daughter did. I guess some things are timeless.

zillustration said...

Eddie - I just got an notification that "Breakfast Time" was accepted into the Society of Illustrators 3rd annual Cartoon & Comics show in NYC. Super stoked - been trying to get into an SI annual for ages.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

zillustration: Wow! That's great! I love illustrations that are full of gags and fun detail.