Friday, September 23, 2016

MY HALLOWEEN NIGHTMARE


It was the same dream I always have.

Once again I found myself filled with dread, on a pier overlooking the sea. 

Once again I knew that help in the form of a ship was on its way, but it was doubtful that the boat would ever make it. 


Whatever it was that was after me was also after the ship.


 Machines patrolled the shore. 

Gliders, too. Nothing could get past that.

There was nothing for it but to turn back to the city. If I could walk through it and find my way to the countryside maybe I'd be safe. 


It took a while before I realized that I was being watched.


People in an airplane were following my progress. They seemed to know who I was. 

It was sport for them. They were probably betting on wether I'd make it or not.

I had to tune them out. I just concentrated on putting one foot in in front of another. 

Just look at the ground. 

Don't catch anyone's eye. 

Don't look at the people who look at you.


Just keep walking.



Finally I got to the outer edge of the city.


At the base of the hill I realized that I'd left the world of adults behind. There was nothing but odd children down here. 


The oddest of all was a little girl wearing oversize shoes.

Somehow I knew that she'd done unspeakable things. I'd have to avoid her if I was going to get though this. 



I saw the bridge leading out of the city. 


I wondered if the people on the airplane could still see me. Probably not. I had a strong sense that the watchers had disappeared. The now empty plane circled pointlessly overhead.


I found shelter in a cave that ran under the bridge.


Even there I felt I was being watched.


But why? Why would they watch me? What did they want?


In the dark I heard something behind me. 


Then, as I always do, I woke up.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jason: Thanks!