Friday, February 17, 2017

FISHING POSTERS

I have lots and lots of pictures I want to put on the walls of my new house...too many, really. I might be heading for a nightmare of clutter.

It occurred to me that maybe I should minimize what's framed on the wall and let the architecture speak for itself. Maybe I should aim for a just a handful of emotionally neutral pictures that recede into the background. Something soothing and relaxing. Some subject like.... fishing.


When I looked up fly fishing posters on the net I discovered that they're anything but relaxing. They're all pictures of stressed out manly men, men who are pitted against horrific, titanic forces.


Who'd have thunk? It's odd because the fish most Sunday fisherman catch are tiny things no bigger than your hand. 


I was surprised to find so many posters dealing with fish grabbing. That's a relatively new sport.


Fish grabbers see themselves as more humane because they release the fish after they catch them. I don't know, though.  I don't think fish like to be manhandled.


I was amazed to find posters of...of all things...bait!!!  Yes, worms and bugs! Fisherman are a breed apart, no doubt about it.


I even found lots of abstract, Cliff Sterrett/Picasso-type fish posters. Who'd have thought that fish people would go for artsy stuff like that?


Well, eventually I found the sedate pictures I was looking for, but... I dunno...maybe I'll try something else.


Chess posters?  Here's the world famous Nimzo Indian Defense (or maybe Nimzo is the name of the poster company).


Or a lucky poker hand.


Or a picture of a singing cowboy. Aaaargh! I don't know.



1 comment:

mike fontanelli said...

I like the Freudian one, (4th scan).