Sunday, May 08, 2011

NERD GIRLS

It's an inadequate definition, I know, but for me a nerd girl is simply a nice girl who appears to have a soul. That doesn't mean that other girls don't have one, just that you have to get to know them to discover it. With nerd girls you see it instantly. What you see is what you get, and it's usually pretty good. 


I got that notion about having a soul from a one time visitor here, who said that she/he liked my site because it appeared that the guy who put it up (me) actually had a soul. I don't know if I deserve that or not, but it was a nice compliment. Now I look around for other people who it applies to. 


Nerd girls can be soooooo sexy.


There's a nerd girl site on the net that I think is great. I was surprised when a couple of my friends took a look and pronounced it lame. Is it? Geez, they have high standards!


Some of the girls on that site are only borderline nerds. Like the girl above...would you call her a nerd? She might be, I'm not sure. 'Not bad, though.


Lest you forget what a real nerd is, I offer the example above. Er...gulp!


The fact that there's so many borderline nerds is disconcerting. Is the girl above a nerd? I can't tell. Now I'm getting confused. It's fashionable to be a nerd now and the market is flooded with nerd wannabes. 



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't get what you mean. A soul is an aesthetic quality?

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

I think this may be that situation where you use a word over and over until you forget what you mean and the definition becomes a blur.

random fact (that most of you probably know): the word nerd was invented by none other than Dr. Seuss, no wonder it found its way into everyday vernacular! Even if it is used pejoratively.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Anon: These things are hard to define and discuss. In situations like this I fall back on intuition and common usage.

Scrawney: Dr. Seuss invented the word "nerd?" I never knew that!

Anonymous said...

Please link to where you found that first pic.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Anon: I'm dying to put up a link, but kids occassionally come here and I have to be careful about stuff like that. It's a common site which I'm sure you can easily find on google.

I find it interesting that this post seems so steamy, in spite of the fact that most of the pictures are just faces. Faces convey an awful lot of information.

Steven M. said...

I always thought some nerd girls were shallow.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Steven: Some of them are. There's a number of nerd types. They're not all the same. One of these days I'll do a post about the the different types I see on the street.

Anonymous said...

If I hadn't ran out of sketchbook pages the other day, I would certainly draw all of these girls. They look great. What is your theory on preppy girls though or just ones with a sort of Napoleon complex to them? I think they tend to have quite a lot of character, despite their behavior on the outside. Possibly some insecurity issues with some of those. Either way, nerd girls seem like they're worth studying from to come up with more convincing, specific girl haracters in animation.

Anonymous said...

By the way, that was me accidentally using my other Google account. My computer has been acting funny for the past week (blue screens of death, Google chrome freezing, failure to boot up, etc.), so I'm forced to read the blog and type up stuff from my cell phone. I didn't realize that it had saved my login info from the other day. Long story short, I apologize for any inconvenience on your behalf.

pappy d said...

I love the blushing girl!

CartoonSteve said...

When I think of nerd girls, I picture someone like Molly Ringwald - or those hot hostesses on the old TechTV channel.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Preppy girls? Like Ali McGraw in "Love Story?" Yeah, I like that kind of girl, too.

That movie is underrated in my opinion. It's cliched and shot in dismal colors, but it manages to be a classic in spite of that. Maybe because there are bits of uncommon truth and idealism in among the cliches.

VioletS said...

Not a single pic of a nerdy girl in glasses?! Tsk. Tsk.