Monday, March 10, 2014

CHOREOGRAPHY BY BOB FOSSE (REVISED) (PART I)



NOTE: I've revised this post, and now it's in two parts. The second part follows this one).

Geez, I wanted to talk about choreography and the terms musical comedy choreographers use for dances and dance moves...terms like "the Foxy Trio" and "the Tea for Two," and words like "Terpsichore" and "Violanda." I just couldn't self-educate, even in a small way, in the short time I had. Oh, well...I'll still write about it soon, even if everything I say requires correction.

I still have choreography on my mind, though. I thought about posting about Jack Cole, an early jazz choreographer. While watching his videos I got sidetracked into watching Bob Fosse numbers again, and seeing him at his best wiped everything else from my mind. Here's three of the ones I watched. You've probably seen them before. I have, dozens of times. I'm obsessed, I know. I'm to be pitted.




Fosse was a musical comedy guy. Watch numbers he worked on like "A Secretary is Not A Toy," "Whatever Lola Wants",  "Brotherhood of Man" and the money song from Caberet to get a feeling for how he handles humor. He's great at it. It's surprising then, that he's so good at dramatic dances like the one above. Of course he sneaks humor into them.




Here's the death finale from "All That Jazz." The dark humor in it makes everything seem doubly tragic. I can't watch this without tears flowing. It's amazing that the most moving depiction of death on film was done by a dancer.

1 comment:

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

From Eddie: I was pleased and surprised when the production director of Miley Cyrus's road show commented on the Miley article I posted a few days ago. I thought you might like to read it because he named a couple of the people who were responsible for the show's killer look:

Anonymous: "The show was a visual feast. Creative Director was Diane Martel and Miley herself. I was fortunate enough to work on the production as production director. All my interactions with Miley were extremely fun and rewarding. I respect her for making her own bold choices and having a commitment to pushing the envelope while taking the piss out of herself. The production was super difficult but very fun. I was never a 'fan' of hers and didn't know much about the music, but I am a fan after working with her and I do like most of her music from the Bangerz album."