Monday, September 29, 2008

HALLOWEEN'S ONLY A MONTH AWAY!!!!!!!


Halloween is only a month away!!!!!!! I'd intended to do a review of what's on display in the Halloween stores this year, only they're still putting things up, so I guess I'll have to wait. In the meantime, here's a few pictures.

Here's (above) my favorite,  an astonishingly beautiful, die-cut cardboard Moon and cat, probably from Germany in the 10s or 20s. Man, the Germans were good at this sort of thing! The piece is a work of art, yet you could buy it for the change in a kid's pocket! Is Halloween celebrated in Germany?



A vintage, paper-mache pumpkin (above), possibly also German.



This picture of a skeleton sitting on an old porch (above) reminds me of a job I had selling door-to-door in small, Sleepy Hollow-type towns in Pennsylvania at Halloween time. The towns were nestled in the hollows of hills and from a distance all you could see were old, wooden church steeples rising above mounds of  October-colored Maples and Chestnut trees. All the Halloween decorations on porches and windows were home-made.



A terrific pumpkin design!




Plastic and day-glow paint (above) made into an art form.



Soon we'll all have robotic Igors (above) to do our bidding. Maybe they'll rebel and turn nasty.



It's great to see designers turn their attention to the holiday.



What part of the body is this (above) ?




A mask (above) that looks like a zombie version of the lead singer in the band "Sha-na-na."




Siamese pumpkins (above)!



This (above) is only slightly more exaggerated than what you see on the street. Robert Crumb would love this girl!




Painterly paper-mache masks with oddball fabrics (above)...a delight for the eye.




Nice, very nice!



It's hard to believe that God isn't a cartoonist.




This (above) is the reason you don't see Wonder Woman on the street anymore, catching bad guys. She had an almost fatal attraction to Twinkies, and now leads a quiet life in a small town, eating Jenny Craig and watching daytime TV.



No comment!



Aaaaargh! Where's the eyewash!? 


13 comments:

Bitter Animator said...

A butt-cheek face mask. That's not something you see every day. I find it rather erotic for some reason.

lastangelman said...

In these hip, feckless, irrelevant times, this may supplant this as the traditional Halloween fare.

Good Grief!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Last: Your first link wouldn't show for some reason.

SlashHalen said...

Great pictures Eddie. I gotta say, I laughed a lot at that farmer and sheep picture. Oh god, that's great.

But did you have to add the old ladies at the end? Were those even old ladies?... YOU'RE A SICK MAN!

Anonymous said...

Hey Eddie. This doesn't have to do with Halloween but you've GOTTA see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7jYt8ntP7w

Anonymous said...

Those aren't old ladies. That's Rudy Giulani's bowling team out for Sunday brunch.

Justin said...

Curse you, Eddie! Your terrific post has blinded me with that last picture!

The fourth picture from the top surprised me. I didn't know your sense of humor wandered into the realm of lowbrow! I think it's creative too, though.

Austin Papageorge said...

Holloween has almost no appeal for me, really.

Steven Finch, Attorney At Law said...

Edward, if you're in the Halloween mood I think you might get a kick out of this blog.

It's one of my perennial favorites!

JohnK said...

That sheep costume is insensitive to cowboys.

Anonymous said...

Eddie, was this about, umm, fifty percent of a previous post you did? Not that there is anything wrong with that. I love the new pictures.

Anonymous said...

A goatse pumpkin? Please, no.

If that's a "cat" with the moon die cut in the first picture then you have some strange felines in your neighborhood.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Anon: Oops! A pumpkin, not a cat!

Anon #2: Maybe about 20% the same. I couldn't remember if I did the moon and pumpkin before, but if I did it was well worth a reprise! That's one of the best cardboard window decorations I've ever seen. It probably sold for a nickel.