Tuesday, November 22, 2011

MORE EARLY COMICS FROM "STRIPPER'S GUIDE"

Haw! From Allan Holtz's "Stripper's Guide" blog (link in the sidebar) comes yet another roundup of little-known comic strips of a hundred years ago. How do you like "Mr. and Mrs. Pippin" by the same artist who would later do Moon Mullins? Click to enlarge.


Boy, it was hard to make a living as a cartoonist even then!




Here's (above and below) a melodrama by girl artist Russell Patterson.



This (above) looks later than the other strips here, maybe from the 30s or 40s. 

I just can't get enough of the early Herriman. This is a fairly typical Herriman daily... from 1906, I think. 


Above, the relentless law of the cartoonist's universe: be funny or die!


This artist (above) isn't what you'd call wildly innovative, but his compositions are easy on the eye, and he manages to project a quietly happy and friendly tone. 







2 comments:

Shawn Luke said...

I love these so much. the writing isn't that interesting to me, but the drawings astound me. Wings of Love, WOW! The style, the clothes, the airplane! I want to draw like that. I love the early Herriman too. I print out all I get off the internet from him for my own collection. This sounds silly but, when I get in the mood, I'll pour a little glass of red wine, put on some Artie Shaw and flip though my collection of old cartoons like this stuff. Ha! How embarrassing, but whatever.

Shawn Luke said...

The women in Wings of Love look like the way I imagined Dominic Francon. lol