Friday, November 23, 2012

BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPERS

 How was Thanksgiving? Get enough turkey? Yeah, Thanks to Milt and Katie I did, too. I could hardly stand.


How about Black Friday? Get any bargains?


Yikes!


I stayed away from the stores on Friday, and greatly regretted it by the time night fell.


After all, it's our job as cartoonists to personally witness things like this. We should be in the thick of it, sketching ideas and impressions and getting photos.


There was humanity in the raw, and where was I? I was listening to records at Mike's house.


If I had it to do all over again, I'd don an old lady wig, grab the zebra-striped handbag I bought at the 99 cent store, and wade into the Black Friday crowd bashing people with my purse. It would make a great blog post!

Geez, I lost priceless opportunities on both Halloween and Black Friday. Am I going to blow Christmas, too? It seems to me that the only fit place for cartoonists in the last days before Christmas (apart from being with family and friends and charity functions) is at the busiest, most crowded, most agonizingly stressful stores we can find. Camera batteries should be fully charged, wallets left at home lest we fall prey to the buying frenzy.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm dead broke so I didn't even bother with Black Friday nor did I care. This video by Mark Dice made fun of the lunacy though. The turkey I had was delicious, but I think the holidays are just a distraction for people to take their minds off much more important issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAeMeLhjswQ&feature=plcp

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Good selection of Don Martin images! This Don Martin strip about birds always reminds me of Black Friday too

http://bit.ly/XN7bNO
http://bit.ly/WJwBKD

Jorge Garrido said...

Picked up a 24-inch monitor on a black friday online midnight special for $120!

What records were you listening to, Eddie? Lately I've been listening to a lot of Count Basie. I've been reading a book about swing music that said the secret ingredient that made Basie's band special was his guitarist Freddie Green, who would "harmonize" with the drums and unify the mid-range of the band with the rhythm section. This propelled the beat and melody forward with streamlined unity that made the band minimalist yet incredible for dancing to.

It was a fascinating theory. I missed theories!

Jorge Garrido said...

Also, I wanted to post this picture I saw on Reddit. Someone's friend saw a baby being born at a Wal-Mart on Black Friday.


http://i.imgur.com/FFOqa.jpg

Robert Schaad said...

I think that I saw Fester Bestertester...

Unknown said...

"What records were you listening to, Eddie? Lately I've been listening to a lot of Count Basie. I've been reading a book about swing music that said the secret ingredient that made Basie's band special was his guitarist Freddie Green, who would "harmonize" with the drums and unify the mid-range of the band with the rhythm section. This propelled the beat and melody forward with streamlined unity that made the band minimalist yet incredible for dancing to."

Hey Jorge! What a coincidence. I'm a huge fan of Basie and most types of jazz that came about before the 1980s. You should check out Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra, the band Count played with prior to Bennie's death. Look up the recordings "Toby," "Lafayette," "Blue Room," and "Moten Swing" from that band on YouTube and Spotify and you'll be blown away. Also check out The Wonderful World of Louis Armstrong (Dippermouth) blog for some jazz history and recordings from the good ol' Pops himself.

I'm also a fan of Charlie Christian, another famous jazz guitarist of the Swing Era.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jorge, Robero: I'll answer tomorrow. I've gotta run to Walmart and Best buy and see if I can get pictures of crowds fighting, macing, etc. Mike's gonna go with me.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Yikes! I disagree! I like the idea of making fun of Black Friday, but for me it's an affectionate criticism. People buying gifts for other people isn't a sign that civilization is collapsing.

Joshua: Haw! That poison popcorn story was the first thing I ever saw by that artist. I read it and instantly converted to being a fan of his.

Jorge: A fascinating theory! I wish I could hear examples.

Mike and I were listening to the Percy Dovetonsils CD, among other things. Truly Percy was an advanced man!