Sunday, September 15, 2013

DRESSING TO DANCE

I'm not much of a dancer myself but I regret not learning how. It looks like fun and in the movies everything connected with dancing looks interesting.


I like the clothes people wear to a dance (above). I like the "What's-your-sign?" type dialogue you're supposed to use to chat up a dancing partner. I like the bass-thumping speakers, and the tough guy way of smoking cigarettes and flicking the butts while taking a break outside.


The custom of dressing weird for a dance goes way back. Something about moving to rhythm makes you want to do that.



Even when imitating an animal, as in this Turkey Trot (above), you have to dress up to do it. Dancing in ordinary street clothes is out of the question.

Everywhere in the world (above) dancing is something you dress up for. Nobody would be so uncouth as to gyrate in their street clothes.



Even if you want to watch an Apache dancer beat up his girlfriend, you have to dress up for it. 

I wish I had a tux so I could cakewalk.


I'm told the cakewalk originated with blacks making fun of the way upper crust white people used to strut.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking of funny dances, have you heard about this trend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgoyVRO0A0E

I'll let the video speak for itself. There are a million of these kinds of videos doing this particular "dance." I read once on here that you liked the Percolator.

Unknown said...

What a coincidence!

David Gemmill posted a twerking video too yesterday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFHXx-ER78