Sunday, April 05, 2015

STILL MORE VIDEO GAME SKETCHES


Above, a wacky Mount Rushmore-type background for the Western Level. I hate to say it, but it probably didn't work very well. A vivid border graphic like this brings too much attention to the level's edge, which should appear limitless.


Here's a Chief's Hut for the Jungle Level.


Haw! Here's another version of the Chief's Hut. I thought about crowning it with a big bone but some might have found that offensive. Geez, I can think of a bunch of ideas for this that weren't apparent at the time. I wish I could take another shot at this.  


This one (above) was for the Haunted House Level. The skater peels off the wall onto a trap door which takes him to another corridor. 


Yes, guns make every game better. 


Here (above) the skater skates around the walls, avoiding the mouth that tries to eat him.


The mouth widens to include the entire floor (above, bottom left) and the big tongue snags the skater. I was asked to modify this and the changed version appears on the upper left. I'm ashamed to say that I can't remember who cleaned this up. 


This sketch (above) wasn't done for the video game...it was for an insurance company...but I include it here because I wish I'd thought of it when I did the game. If there had been an American city level I could have had the skater run into zealous Boy Scouts who walk pedestrians across the street, whether they like it or not.
   


Above, the edge of a Western town. The boardwalk leads to a mine and an Indian village.

Geez, there's more I could post but maybe that wouldn't be fair to Atlus, who I believe is the copyright holder. 

3 comments:

J Scribbles said...

love the armed little ghost!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, what an idea, the western town continuing off the edge! Looks like something out of my dreams!

"A vivid border graphic like this brings too much attention to the game's edge, which should appear limitless."
There you have it, a pure, correct Uncle Eddie theory right there on the first paragraph. This is why I love your blog, there's always some entertaining food for thought with a viewpoint you can't find anywhere else.

-H.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Anon: Thanks! "...entertaining food for thought with a viewpoint you can't find anywhere else" is a wonderful summary of what I've tried to do with this blog.

Johannes: Yeah, I like that too.