Friday, June 22, 2007

MY HERO, BOB CLAMPETT


I just re-read John K's two excellent posts about "Kitty Kornered" and they left me so excited that I feel I have to get invoved and say something about Clampett too. The problem is that I am sooooo sleepy! As soon as I dot the last "i" I'm outta here. Forget spell check! Forget making sense!

Anyway that's the young Clampett above. That was the first of his three major "looks."


Here's (above) the second. It's the Gabe Swaar Clampett, the 50s Madison Avenue ad man Clampett. Man, I'd kill to have a pair of glasses like that!


Here's (above) the Clampett I knew, the Roy Orbinson Clampett. That's Daws Butler standing beside him.


Here's (above) a publicity shot showing Clampett with Cecil looking very, very phallic behind him. Is that Beany looking like a wino on the ground? Maybe the mop is a reference to the "Rag Mopp" song that Cecil used to sing.




Bob was a hero for all cartoonists because he believed in funny cartoons. In his best cartoons he even went beyond funny, making cartoons that were uniquely cinematic and musical without sacrificing any of the humor. Look at "Coal Black", "Great Piggy Bank Robbery" "Kitty Kornered" and "Book Review". These are visceral films. They're musical even with the sound turned low. They're pure cinema. If you liked Eisenstein's "Odessa Steps" sequence you'll have no trouble appreciating Clampett.


Clampett seems to have been the only Warners director who genuinely liked music. Bob had a collection of Boogie Woogie, swing, jazz and classical and it was intended for use. You get the feeling the other directors considered music to be an afterthought. They worked with Carl Stalling (pictured above) and the Warner Brothers Orchestra... and they wasted them!!!!! Leon was even willing to foot the bill for occasional visiting musicians like Ellington's "Jump for Joy" musicians who worked on Coal Black. Only Clampett took advantage of the situation.


I know, some body's saying "What about 'What's opera Doc' ? Jones and Freleng took plenty of advantage!" No they didn't, not really. I love Jones' opera films but they were almost literal interpretations of the music they were associated with. Clampett egged Stalling on to blend musical styles in the same cartoon. Look at Coal Black where Boogie Woogie blends with Mozart. Even rhythmic dialogue voices and effects become part of the music.

But Bob went even further than that. He paced the films themselves as if they were music! You know the feeling you get when you watch Eisenstein's "Odessa steps" sequence? You feel like you're hearing music even though the film is silent. Bob could do that with funny cartoons! He had a feeling for film, something like the way Tito Puente had a feel for orchestral arrangements. It put his best work miles ahead of the competition!





Bob liked broad action and I'm always afraid that detractors will say about him, "Sure, he was good, if you like big takes and stretched bodies, but cartoons should be about more than that. You get tired of that stuff after a while." My answer is "yes, you would get tired of it and that's why there's tons of subtle action in most of Clampett's cartoons!"

But let's suppose Bob was mistaken and put in too much over-the-top stuff. For Pete's Sake, don't let your distaste for that blind you to the million other innovations in the films. Don't hate Odessa Steps just because you hate to see a baby get hurt!


As a closing shot I thought I'd put up a picture (above) of Bob with Daws Butler and Stan Freberg. Poor Bob! The shutter probably got him in one of those wincing "inbetween" poses I was talking about a couple of posts ago. It's not a flattering picture and Bob was probably crest-fallen when he saw it, but it's funny that he got caught that way. I like to think that Bob laughed when he saw it, even if he had to threaten the photographer with death a minute later.

Now beautiful, beautiful sleep....!


28 comments:

crsP said...

He did Loony Toons. Others seem to like to do Sarcastic Toons. They ruined Daffy by making him a douche, and Bug's fall guy. Daffy was better as an insane loon. Granted Bugs was sort of a similar type when he was first shown, but they changed Bugs, so why not leave Daffy as an off key character? I want my money back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Will Finn said...

Professor F--
i really like what you say about critics sniffing "what's left if you take out all the wacky stuff?" what's wrong with wacky stuff? what's left of the Marx bros DUCK SOUP, HORSE FEATHERS, MONKEY BUSINESS if you take out all the wacky stuff? those are three of the funniest movies ever made!

this reminds me of how Disney always said you couldn't do a cartoony feature because ALICE flopped. i always thought ALICE flopped (and i like a lot of it) because it isn't nearly cartoony ENOUGH. still waiting for the day a feature cartoon is allowed to be as unapologetically funny as the best Groucho ones, (if Will Ferrell can do it why can't cartoons?)

Jenny Lerew said...

I think the bottom shot isn't unflattering at all. He was a handsome guy. Eyes open or shut.

And the friendliest, too--but that's apparent from his cartoons. No way could a man who made stuff like that not be a nice guy. It's one of those weird things that only after his death did WB animation really get the resurgence in the popular culture it deserves(apart from,, of course, his own brilliant heyday when he was doing them-not thing could top that). He would have been so thrilled with the discussions and rightful spotlight.

Kali Fontecchio said...

On top of everything- he was handsome to boot! That's a deadly combination, good looks and talent.

"the Clampett I knew, the Roy Orbinson Clampett"

I like Roy Orbison Clampett too! Probably because I love Roy Orbison hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Eddie!
Everyone should love Clampett! I actually became a complete and utter fan of his through Beany and Cecil. I still remember the first Beany and Cecil gag that made me laugh. They where sailing off to Hollywood Land and where talking about the movie Studios like "Twentieth Century Socks". When one of them asked what they would do in the year two thousand the only answer was obviously "Change your socks"! Cheesy word play, just another thing that makes his work so great!

Later when I realised that this was the same guy that made all of my favorite Warner shorts I couldnt believe it! How could one person be responsible for so much great stuff!!!! As a kid the scene in The Great Piggy Bank Robbery with all of the Dick Tracy style bad guys surrounding him just completely kills you! Of course this is true as an adult too.

With all of the talk about Clampett lately I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Wabbit Twouble. To me thats one of his best. You have that great Elmer... who completely helps to make the cartoon the most realistic piece of animation that I have EVER seen. So often people relate "reality" to the drawn proportions... but THIS cartoon FEELS completely real to me.

Anyone who has not already got the Beany and Cecil DVD, really should rush out to get it. Some of the line quality gets messed up in the Cartoons every now and again which really sucks... but the Audio features offer an amazing history of Bobs life in HIS OWN words. I've listened to these thousands of times while working or drifting off to sleep and never get tired of it... when he gets weepy thinking about how great the 50's where it breaks your heart and makes you love the guy even more...

James.

ryan hughes said...

chuck jones cartoons are sissy because of the writers who think they are so damn special, and for model sheets stopping cool expressions by ARTISTS ! clamprtt was spontaniously free in his cartoons which is what i love about them the energy of rough rubbery figures flowing across the tv or movie screen is awesome !bob clampett is a major influence to me in cartooning!

Shawn Dickinson said...

I'm really enjoying these Clampett posts between you and John. Clampett is my favorite director from the golden age of cartoons. I don't think I need to say why. You and John have both summed it up quite nicely.

Anonymous said...

Chuck and Bob were certainly different, though not as much as you'd think from surface appearances. They were friends and peers for a while, then(as everyone knows)bitter enemies--on Chuck's part at least.
But Chuck's writers weren't "sissies" by any stretch, and Mike Maltese and Tedd Pierce?? Hey, bud, they WERE damn "special". WTF is wrong with THEM?
Bashing one doesn't make the other better.
Please. Let's just celebrate Clampett when we're talking about Clampett, okay?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jorge: I can't remember the steps sequence in "The Untouchables."

Oh: Bob had to turn out the animated Beanies real fast with a lot of network supervision. In my opinion they weren't Bob's best efforts. I like what I've seen of the puppet version better.

The disc set you mentioned has some amazing special features!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Will: The Marx beothers analogy was great! would have used it myself if I'd thought of it!

I also agree about Alice. That's one of my favorite Disney features. It has all the flaws people say it does but it has compensating virtues. As you said cartoony animation wold have made it even better.

Craig D said...

Quote: "Look at Coal Black where Boogie Woogie blends with Mozart. Even rhythmic dialogue voices and effects become part of the music."

Eddie, that you would suggest Bob was the father of modern rap "music" is perhaps the lowest blow ever!

Now that I've gotten that lame-assed comment out of my system...

It's incredible that some folks feel that have to be apologetic when saying they like Clampett's cartoons. Back in the glory days of MINDROT, 16mm cartoon-collecting and clandestine animation studying such an attitude would have been completely foreign to cartoon afficiandos. (Or at least I'd like to think so!)

In 1979 I was lucky enough to attend a three-day event with Bob as the special guest. Yep, the "Orbison" Bob! More than anything, that was a turning point for me, as far as convincing me that I wanted to really start paying attention to this stuff.

So, thanks, Bob!

Anonymous said...

What did Freeburg and Butler -really- think about Clampett?

Thad said...

What did Freberg and Butler -really- think about Clampett?

Freberg is pretty repulsed by Clampett. I think Butler may have shared the same opinion (June Foray did).

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Anon,Thad: Freberg has a great chapter about Clampett in his biography. I think the chapter was intended as a slam but it comes off as affectionate in spite of itself and remains one of the best things written about Bob.

Where did you hear that Butler and Foray disliked him? Do you know why?

Thad said...

Hey Eddie,
Not sure if Butler did, was just assuming because he and Freberg were pretty close. I think his feelings toward Bob were more mutual than Freberg's.

A friend told me June called Clampett "a shit" (with every bit of malice she could put in the word) at an event years ago. Yikes! Poor Bob.

Anonymous said...

Foray was very close to Chuck and 85% of Clampett being "a shit" in her one word summation was probably Jones talking.

Thad said...

Foray is also close to Freberg (a total egomaniac, FYI, but still fun to listen to).

ryan hughes said...

Well if they're not sissies why is everything always so cute and babyish and girlish then ? Also how come in almost all cartoons directed by jones the characters are in drag in a believeable way? When Bob Clampett did it to Elmer Fudd it was funny and it got a big laugh! But when Chuck did it , something always seemed fruty about it and Bugs Bunny actually looked as if he were gay!And they kept running that same gag over and over and over until it became old, and they still ran it over agian , which ought to tell you something BUB!!!!!! (as you put it!)Now don't get the signals crossed here nothing agianst Jones personally but it just has that fuzzy wuzzy overtone in his cartoons that just drives me crazy ! Avery and Clampett tried to stay away from that and when chuck was just an animator he did to ! Or if he didnt it was funny!Like in porky's birthday party the dog with the hair restorer was funny!I rolled with laughter when i saw that on Vhs 10 years ago! I didnt know Jone animated this however until Uncle Eddie himself along with JohnK. pointed this out ot me!Oh and wtf is wrong with them is they left chuck to go to Hanna Barbera which was good with the first few seris but degenerated ino crap!They should have stayed on at warners,but they traided for $$$$$$! What I ment by special was they acted as if they were better than everyone else that was there! They were egotistical enough to call theirselves UNIT-A! Why are they UNIT-A? Why couldn't Clampett, or Mckimson , Or Friz Freeling be unitA?
NOW,
Give ME a break!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Thad, Anon: I know absolutely nothing about the Freberg/Clampett dispute. I never thought to ask Bob about it and I asked Stan about it three times on different occassions and never got a straight answer.

Freberg's public mentions of Clampett seemed to get more funny and less insulting over the years, at least on the occassions I witnessed.

If Foray really said what Thad's friend attributed it to her, I can only guess that it came out of her belief that voice people's contribution to shows is always under-rated (I'll add that Daws and Stan were pupeteers on Bob's show as well as voices). If my guess is right you can't blame her, but I don't see any reason to blame Bob either. Friction among creative people is just par for the course. Bob always struck me as being one of the most principaled people I've ever met.

Anonymous said...

I always got the impression that some of the grudges (Chuck, Other WB alums) held against Bob went all the way back to the hot plate and pennies in Termite Terrace, just the sense of him being an annoying menace.
That is why I was curious about the Freberg and Butler stuff, which seemed to build directly from Beany and Cecil.
Like Eddie said in regards to Stan, you don't always catch whiff of it, and it seemed to dissipate over the years. I tend to buy into the theory regarding Chuck influencing June somewhat, (I had never heard that June harruphed against Bob) but, did June ever work with Bob more directly?

C. A. M. Thompson said...

Yeah, I don't remember June Foray even being in any Clampett cartoons. Maybe I'm wrong.

And I agree Time for Beany the puppet show was a lot better than the Beany cartoon. Beany & Cecil was good for a TV cartoon but if you see Time For Beany it was so spontaneous and wild and entertaining, performed live and he was able to keep it up doing a new show almost every day. The puppets may have been crude but they looked ok on a tiny blurry B&W screen.

Thad said...

Hi all,
June worked with Clampett on an Edgar Bergen [world's worst ventriloquist] show with Paul Frees. Not sure of the details of that production.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

And the tall Ted Geisel hated small vehicles because he was forced to ride in Jeeps during WWII.

Anonymous said...

The Warner writers were not sissies. One old timer did say that Tedd Pierce was 'capable of anything.'