Tuesday, August 28, 2007

HOME DECORATING FOR CARTOONISTS

You can't over-estimate the importance of home decoration. If you're a cartoonist then it's especially important because you need a stimulating environment.

Since I'm an artist myself the first thing that comes to mind when I think of decorating is what to hang on the walls. It's customary to fill the largest wall with an over-sized oil painting and for that I recommend something tasteful, something like this one (above) by Cliff Sterrett. It's restful in it's way but it's also stimulating and manly.



It's also customary to have a small accent painting nearby. How about something something quiet and understated like this (above)?


Males like to have a picture of an undraped woman on the wall (above) and male cartoonists are no exception. It adds a touch of class to a room, reminding us of the great pictures of the old masters.


A sculpture or two wouldn't be out of place. This one (above) is by Brancusi.



Whatever you do, never buy Laura Ashley-type furniture. It's fine for non-cartoonists but it's lethal for people of our breed.


This (above) is more like it. A cartoonist can't think without a certain amount of leather and wood around. And don't forget the stuffed animal heads. I'm an animal lover so I'd substitute fake heads. They get more realistic every year.

Of course cartoonists naturally want a little color and design in their lives. For those who prefer soft, mushy furniture why not use colorful coverings like the kind in Cliff Sterrett comics (above)?


For additional spot paintings I recommend the kind you see on the walls in the backgrounds of Smokey Stover panels (above). Be sure the hanging wire and nail are visible.


Last but not least, I think a framed portrait of some inspirational hero is in order. Something that'll get your juices going when you pass it in the hallway. For me that would be Bob Clampett or Percy Dovetonsils. Ah, giants walked the Earth in those days!




15 comments:

Sean Worsham said...

Wow, now I know how that manly living room ended up in the Ren and Stimpy Cartoon, "Altruists." The nude woman oil painting in Firedogs 2 in Bakshi's/Fire Chief is also indicative of this. Wow, great to further look into other cartoonists lives backgrounds Eddie :). I just wish there were more cartoonists living in my area.

Sean Worsham said...

I guess I will have to make a move to Burbank someday.

Sean Worsham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean Worsham said...

I remember the Smokey Stover strips being animated in that awful Archie cartoon, "Archie's TV Funnies." Along with Captain and the Kids, Broom Hilda, Dick Tracy and Emmy Lou (amongst others).

Sean Worsham said...

Here's a link to the show's intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTL6qf8kW1k

JohnK said...

I'm still planning on having a whole room that looks like Sterret and Gross decorated it.

These are good tips!

Thanks

Lester Hunt said...

Aye, in those days there were giants in the Earth! Seriously, is the first painting really by Sterrett? It does look something like a cartoony parody of a Kandinsky.

pappy d said...

You are the true model of a manly aesthete.

Jordan said...

Hey Eddie!

I just wanted to pop in and say I was watching Simpsons season 2 DVD, and on the commentary for "Itchy and Scratchy and Marge", in the part of the episode when it shows an animator drawing Itchy and Scratchy, they say the design of him of is based on you!


-Jordan

Amir Avni said...

Crazy German expressionism! D'you think that painting of the woman inspired Basil Wolverton?

Anonymous said...

I'm very much liking these rugged manly posts. I was experienceing hunger whilst reading the burger post.

Sorry to say though, I can make the world's best patty though. Unfortunately, I can't reveal the recipe because it's a family secret (my Great Grandpa invented it countless years ago and it's only passed on to the next wave of males once they reach 18).

I'm going to have to try the peppers and bacon fried together though.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Sean: Boy, did that video bring back memories!

Lester: Wow! That Kandinsky is ripe for parody!

Jordan: You're right, that's me. I think Jim Readen directed that show. We used to work together.

Amir: That painting is by Otto Dix. I don't know if it influenced Wolverton.

Josh: You have a secret family recipe!? What are you waiting for? Put it up and link to it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I've been sworn to secrecy. That's why its a family SECRET. I wasn't even allowed to know it until I turned 18!

Mick said...

best post in ages... well in a while... not that your other posts have been bad... just that this one struck a chord... yep 'struck a chord' i said it. I laughed is what I am saying... alright, no need to get upset... I'm going... right then yep... tatah

Paul F. Etcheverry said...

Great decor suggestions! Alas, my 1957 Life magazine with Ernie Kovacs on the cover, signed Cecil The Seasick Sea Serpent cel and photo of Art Tatum tickling the ivories at the Onyx Club must live in storage for now.

Unfortunately, I don't own a Frank Tashlin "bear that wasn't" rug.