Saturday, March 15, 2008

HARLAN ELLISON'S TERRIFIC RADIO SHOW



Sorry about the excessive chatting. I'll try to make these introductions shorter. Also, I haven't given up on outdoor photography and printed posts. I just can't stop playing with the new built-in camera, but that won't last forever.

Eshniner wrote in with a link where Ellison damns to perdition all who would use his material without paying for it. I don't know if that includes blogs like this one but just to be safe I'll have to refrain from putting up more of the radio show. Too bad. It might have introduced the man to some people who didn't know about him before.

Ellison isn't only a writer, he's a performer. You can tell from listening to the video excerpts. Those clips were beautifully orchestrated to take advantage of Ellison's unique style of delivery. It's important to hear things like this because you get a lot more out of his written work, especially the essays, when you can imagine the way he'd read them.

More Ellison, more authorized Ellison, can be found on YouTube interviews and on his unofficial fan site: harlanellison.com/

8 comments:

Eshniner Forest said...

I just watched you vid & wanted to hear more about H.E. & this was one of the first vids that poped up. All I have to say is this guy is a bad ass in the good way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Eshniner: Yikes! I just watched your link where Ellison complains about people who use his material without paying. If I'd read that first I probably wouldn't have posted what I did.

I was going to post another excerpt from the radio show but since Ellison is so sensitive I'd better lay it to rest. Too bad. This might have introduced him to some people who didn't know who he was.

Eshniner Forest said...

Well you got me hoooked on H.E. !! Double Yikes. I didnt mean to scare you. :(

lastangelman said...

I will say this about H.E.: Harlan Ellison is a talented asshole who has gotten burned repeatedly by publishers, agents, network television executives, movie producers, etcetera, which made him especially bitter towards the new paradigms the Internet brought in regards to distributing information, which is kind of ironic as many people regard him as a kind of futurist, while I think it would be more accurate to describe his work as humanist fantasy, dwelling on occasion in the realm of sci-fi. His work is intelligent, thoughtful, entertaining and challenging, no easy or pat endings, more questions than answers.

I.D.R.C. said...

I don't think this will cross Harlan's threshold of abuse. This is not a commercial venture, it's THEORY CORNER. He couldn't possibly be against discussion by a fan.

Pete Emslie said...

I think Harlan Ellison would be a great narrator for "The Smoker" series...

Hey Eddie, you have even better head-bobbing technique than President Bush!

Barbasaurus Rex said...

Harlan Ellison is amazing. Thank you soo much for playing his intros. The background music is so perfect as well!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Harlan! I loved his old show...I haven't played your link(say, by the way-what's with your obvious aversion to showing yourself in living color?), but it must be from when he took over "Hour 25" and subsequently had his own show for a short time. In the early 80s, I think.
Anyway, you're being awfully circumspect about a clip on your blog, here-after all you're not making dime one from "his" stuff either, merely furthering his infamy a teensy bit. What are you afraid of-litigation? A sock on the jaw? I guess with Harlan anything's possible but I doubt he'd care.