Wednesday, April 18, 2012

CARICATURE LESSONS BY THE MASTERS



If you're interested in caricature then this post should boost you up into hog heaven. It's a chance to study three brilliant caricatures almost side by side with similar photos of the live subject,which in this case is.......me.

This first one (above) is by John Kricfalusi.  


Here's (above) the caricature face, close up.  I have an ugly black pancreas clinging to the back of my head, a shovel nose, not even the semblance of a chin, dog ears, and big hairy warts.


Here's (above) the real me. No shovel nose but...I hate to admit it....the caricature looks more like me than the photo. Geez! It's spooky how a drawing can beat photography at this sort of thing. 



Here's (above) a caricature by Mike Fontanelli. The back of the head is so big that it needs a brace. The forehead is almost non-existent.


Here's (above) the proof that I have a forehead and, c'mon.....the back of the head isn't all that large. Sigh! Even so, I have to admit that Mike nailed me. A good caricature can take big liberties.


Above, another one by John. John has a theory that the best caricatures always provoke a "Yooooou f---er!" response from the subject. That's definitely how I felt, when I wasn't laughing. At least he gave me some male assets. 



Haw! I'm guessing that the tiny cup and straw (above0 was influenced by the way my kid used to draw me. I love the soft, leathery upper lip, which is weighted down by buck teeth.


Now I ask you...do I (above) have a leathery lip? Hmmmmm....maybe I do. Anybody out there have some lip starch?



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!!! I love it when you do these kinds of posts with the drawings. Otherwise, you wouldn't really have as great of a cartooning blog if you couldn't draw yourself.

What marker did John use to draw the caricature of you on the top? I can actually do caricatures too, but it takes a lot of exaggeration and careful observation in order to draw them well. These days, I just do a lot of cartoon doodles, but I'll definitely try to get right back into caricaturing as soon as I can.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any caricatures you've done of John or Mike?

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taber said...

Whooo! Scathing and hilarious!

Tom SZ said...

Hi Eddie, here's one to make you feel better! http://tszek.tumblr.com/post/22796606969/ol-uncle-eddie Might not tickle no funny bones, mind

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Tom: Haw! Thanks! Did you do that entirely by hand or did you modify a computer rendering? The reason I ask, is that I'm looking for a program that'll do decent drawn art from photographs.

Tom Sz said...

Glad you like! :)

Unfortunately I did it all by hand, and I don't know GOOD program that'll do that... But after googling, I've found some ATROCIOUS programs that'll do that!: http://open-tube.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cartoonstylist.jpg

http://cartoonyourselffree.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/cartoon-yourself.JPG