Sunday, May 20, 2012

DON MARTIN FLOWER ARRANGEMENTS


INT. FAST FOOD RESTAURANT:

AURALYNN: "Okay Eddie, are you ready to look at those books?"

EDDIE (VO): "Yeah, sure. Bring 'em on! They're on flower arrangements, right?"

AURALYNN: "Yeah, they're called "Ikebana." That's a style of flower arrangement that's influenced by modern art. I thought you might want to do a blog about it."


EDDIE (VO): " 'Itchy Bana?' Why is it itchy? Oh, I see...it's what happens when all that dried moss gets on you. "

AURALYNN: "Well, er....not exactly."


EDDIE (V0): "Holy Mackerel!!! That' looks like Don Martin did it! His leaves always sag like that."


EDDiE: "Okay, this clinches it.......that's Don Martin for sure."


AURALYNN: "Er, maybe........"


EDDIE: "Yikes! Do you know what those two vases look like!? You're going to get me kicked off Blogger!"


AURALYNN: "I think they're all about the tension that's contained in the space between two objects. It's about the energy that's generated. For me, it's a kind of creative energy that's being released." 

EDDIE (VO): "Hmmmmm. Okay, if you say so......."


EDDIE (VO): "Haw! Here's an interesting one."


EDDIE (VO): "It reminds me of a pompadour that I saw on the internet!"


AURALYNN: "What about this one?"

EDDIE: "Holy Cow! That's a Shemp wig!!!"


EDDIE: "It's a Shemp wig, a couple of cheese puffs and a twig, all sitting on a vase. Or maybe it's a Tacky Toupee." I got one of those last Halloween. Hey, I think I'm beginning to understand this Itchy Bana stuff!"



AURALYNN (TRYING NOT TO LAUGH): "No, no. It's not a Tacky Toupee."


AURALYNN: "Ikebana isn't about comparison to specific things. It's about contrasts and  relationships. Ikebana is always practiced in silence. It's a chance to appreciate things in nature that people overlook because they're so busy. The practitioner becomes more patient and tolerant of differences." 


AURALYNN: "You become closer to nature and that relaxes the mind and soul."


EDDIE (VO): "Oh....okay........I think I get it now. These two stalks of broccoli, or whatever they are......"


EDDIE (VO): "....they're completely unrelated to the way that Milt Gross draws womens' hair. They're all about....relationships."



AURALYNN: "Yeah, that's it. Don't worry...it'll sink in when you think about it."

EDDIE (VO): "Okay. What we need now is to establish a relationship with a couple of big old tasty hamburgers."

****************


BTW: Milt told me that Blogger recently prevented him from leaving a comment. Has anyone else had similar trouble? I have Comment Moderation, but there shouldn't be any squiggley letters to figure out. Please let me know (somehow) if you've had trouble with this.


3 comments:

zillustration said...

Holy cow, does Auralynn have style! I've always been interested in the wabi-sabi breakup of space that is present in Bonsai trees and within the art of Ikebana. I try use it in my painting, and even find it useful when I layout comics, since my style doesn't rely on hard borders. Another great post, thanks.

Anonymous said...

These posts where Auralynn meets you for burgers and kulchur are hilarious. Maybe one day, she'll succeed at giving you refined taste and you too can crook your pinkie whilst carrying a soft drink!

Anonymous said...

I have had no problem getting my comments published in the comments, so I don't think you should be worried about whether my voice got through or not. As for the story, Auralynn sure has great taste in foreign oddities and culture! She already looks like a cartoonist based on these photos. True?