Monday, May 14, 2012

THE MEANEST COMIC STRIP EVER


I just stumbled on what I consider the meanest newspaper comic strip ever. It's not the one above, it's something else. I'll come back to this subject in a minute, but first let me put it into context with a little history.

The common wisdom is that newspaper comics experienced a Golden Age starting somewhere around 1925. That's the era when physical comedy artists like Ridgewell (above) were nudged aside in favor of sedate, story-oriented strips like (several years later) "Little Orphan Annie."

Above, more Ridgewell. In my opinion the real Golden Age of the newspaper strip was 1903-1924, or thereabouts. Most of the characters of that era weren't especially memorable but the drawings were really creative. 

Live action comedy films evolved along similar lines. Physical silent comedians like Chaplin and Keaton were phased out in favor of personality actors like (a decade later) Cray Grant.


Surely something valuable was lost when purely comedic artists like Frank Leet (above) were deleted from the papers. Why couldn't physical comedy co-exist side by side with the newer, more story-oriented stuff? 


Alan Holtz, creator of the blog "Stripper's Guide" (link on the sidebar) and my source for these strips, speculates that original physical gags may have been just too hard to come up with over the long haul. Take the Leet strip above. The idea of unleashing an attack dog on two ne'er-do-wells must have been used hundreds of times before Leet got hold of it. I can imagine Alan asking, "How many more times can you do a gag like that?"

I'm only half in agreement with that explanation. It seems to me that physical comedy could have evolved like everything else. Look at Fearless Fosdick, Milt Gross, Don Martin, Jerry Lewis, Jim Carey. 




Gee, comics (above) were so experimental in that era.


The point I want to make is that early comic strips were an anything-goes hodge-podge of everything that was considered funny in that era. Maybe that's why they were so creative. Political correctness hadn't discovered them yet. You could even do death gags in those strips. And talking about death gags........

What do you think of these death gags (above) in the strip I call "the meanest strip ever,"  Frank King's "Jonah" from 1910. I kinda like it. Here Jonah assists a woman in her attempt to commit suicide. Click to enlarge. 



The strip (above) was unbelievably drastic. You just never knew what would show up there. 


How do you like this one (above)? Jonah deliberately pushes a baby into a pond. Try to do a story like that today.


7 comments:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Great cruelty comics! I'm all for story but these made me laugh, that little Jonah guy is hilarious! Same for the guys beating each other and exchanging formalities.

Anonymous said...

There's something to be said for the sheer inventiveness of the earlier period, that's for sure. I wonder if part of the reason that the purely comic style gave way to the more story-driven was the surge in popularity of animated cartoons. Felix the Cat and Out of the Inkwell both took off in a big way around 1924. Add sound in 1928 and the explosion of creativity in different studios in the 1930s and 40s. The purely comedic cartoonists in the papers would have been hard pressed to compete. The exceptions (Milt Gross, Don Martin) stand out in the way physical comedians in the 1950s do (Jerry Lewis, Jacques Tati).

Brubaker said...

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on why slapstick in comics went away (although I think Stephen is onto something with the surge of animated cartoons during that period).

Speaking of storyline strips, I've been reading 1940s "Dick Tracy" strips, and, well, I think I understand why Daffy Duck is such a big fan of the strip. They really do keep an edge to your seat, wondering what Tracy and the villain will do. The one I'm specifically reading right now is "The Brow", which ended with the bad guy being thrown off the window and getting impaled by a flagpole underneath.

That's an interesting subject for another day. How gruesome can you go when you kill off a bad guy?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Brubaker, Stephen: Yeah, the 40s Dick Tracy was great. I love The Brow story.

Why did slapstick go away? I'm not sure. I wanted to postpone talking about it til I had time to think about it.

Certainly Alan Holtz was right when he implied that dialogue comedy is easier to write and draw, and that may be enough to explain it.

But other causes are worth considering. Stephen believes that broad animation killed the newspaper slapstick tradition. Maybe radio killed it.

I wish Marshal McLuhan were alive and could comment on this.

pappy d said...

The "ne'er-do-well" with his own motorcar is Jack Johnson, heavyweight champion of the world. I think Frank Leet might have used a different n-word.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Pappy: That's the heavyweight Champion!!???? I believe you, but I'm surprised that you would know that. Your knowledge of old cartoons is amazing!

pappy d said...

I'm a fight fan, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_%28boxer%29