Thursday, October 18, 2012

HALLOWEEN COSTUME IDEAS



I was trying to figure out what to wear on Halloween this year and it occurred to me that I should dress up as one of my own characters (above) from Theory Corner. The question is...which one?

The one I'm dying to do is The Mad Scientist (above). The problem is that I never completed his story because I couldn't find the right kind of lab coat. I'd need the long kind with a high collar and double rows of buttons going down the front. I don't see anything like that out there, so how can I dress up like him?


Here's (above) The Righteous Dude. I love this guy and dressing up like him would be easy. Ditto for the beatnik. The problem is that they're both too easy. A good costume takes risks, don't you think?


I could come as The Romance Reader, except...well, geez, that tight flannel nightgown would be hard to wear for a whole night. The one I have probably belonged to a skinny old lady who had a figure like Olive Oyl. 
  

Or maybe The Smoker's bone-crushing adversary,"Beulah (above)." I picture her wearing The Romance Reader's flannel nightgown, only a huge, padded triple X version of it. Hmmmm....I'll have to see what the local thrift store has. It took me forever to find the skinny one the romance lady wears. 


This (above) is a highly Photoshopped picture that I made for my sidebar. The nose is huge, the way John K used to draw it in caricatures. I could make a long nose and maybe attach it to glasses for stability. I might even be able to do a protruding skull in the back. I don't know if it would be comfortable to wear for a whole night, though.


 Maybe The Lone Stranger! 


Maybe I'll come as the Grand, Exalted, Imperial Muskrat of the Royal Order of the Muskrat. I'll tell you what...if anyone here lives in LA and makes a Muskrat costume of their own, send me a link to a picture of you in it and we'll have pizza together at Lido's (Dutch treat, of course). Wouldn't it be great to have group photos of all the local Muskrats doing justice to one of Lido's stringy pizzas?

I haven't posted about the muskrats in a while, so here's a reminder of what a meeting of that exalted order is like:



Of course members of the Royal Order of Raccoons Ladies' Auxiliary are invited too. To become a member you only have to show up wearing what refined middle-aged ladies of the 50s wore. Here's (below) a couple of links concerning the proper dress for both men and women. 




2 comments:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

If we're looking into the vault of Eddie characters...
Mix Fleischman would be easy but not a lot of fun.
The Mild Uncle Eddie is a great character and costume! The non naked one, of course.
Captain Hooked would look good too.
Those big nosed glasses you wore for your Old West commercial would go with the John K caricature costume.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joshua: Yes, those glasses would be perfect for the job!

Captain Hooked is my very favorite character. I can fake his costume on the internet but a whole body costume would entail some expense.

It's too bad. I'd love to go on the road with a 5 minute Hooked routine. By "on the road" I mean doing it for friends and family.