Thursday, March 21, 2013

LIMBURGER CHEESE


This post is about Limburger cheese, the world's stinkiest food. I just bought a block but I haven't opened it yet. I figure I'll open it here and take my very first bite with the whole world watching.

"When I was a kid my dad used to bring this stuff home just to watch the rest of us run for the exits. He thought it was funny. I'll bet he never ate any of it!


"Okay, enough babbling. Let's open the sucker!"


"The-e-e-re we go!"


SFX: (SNIFF! SNIFF!)


"Oh, that's nasty!!!!"


"Oooooh, I just caught a second wave. That really is nasty!"


"Now, now...let's not rush to judgement. This is America where every food is entitled to a taste test."




















"Well, you know....it's not really half bad. It tastes like Camembert."



"In fact...I think...I think I like it! Who'd'da thunk?"

9 comments:

zillustration said...

Ha!! My lovely bride and I were debating the same thing... "Do you want to try Limburger cheese?"

It carries the Uncle Eddie seal of approval! Now to find a good cheese shop here in the wiles of VA!

Unknown said...

I'm the type of guy who would vomit at the sight of something which smells so awful. I've never had an encounter with Limburger cheese, but I have no interest in trying it either.

Invisibules said...

it's almost as good as Venezuelan beaver cheese!

Stephen Worth said...

Try salt rising bread next. Even stinkier! Van De Kamps used to make it.

Jennifer said...

Umm...yeah. I'll just take your word for it if you don't mind. :) I'm with Robert - I think that I would get sick at something that smells so bad.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer, Roberto, Z: You should try it. The smell has nothing to do with the taste, and you quickly get used to it and tune it out. I haven't noticed that the smell clings to clothes.

Only one facility in America makes this cheese and I think their version is less smelly than the kind my father got. Maybe they've tamed it to suit American tastes.

On the net people recommend eating it with other strong flavors like onions and rye bread and dark beer. That's bad advice. It's a gentle cheese in spite of the smell. I'd eat it with yuppie crackers and a sweet wine like Riesling or port.

Steve: Salt rising bread? Was the taste worth it?

Inv: Beaver cheese? What's that? How does it taste?

Stephen Worth said...

Salt Rising Bread is the limburger of breads

Rolly McDice said...

Have you tried Durian? it's nature's stinky delicacy.

Aaronphilby said...

Wow! I want to try limburger cheese!