Monday, July 08, 2013

MALE FACES TO DRAW

Wow! This must be one of the best ever pictures of a screen villain. The subject is, of course, John Carradine.
Carradine had a face that looked great when underlit.


Don't you think this guy (above) looks a little like a Don Martin character?



Who is this man (above)? Whoever he is, he fairly cries out for a caricature. Come to think of it, this pose reminds me of a caricature I once saw of John Maynard Keynes. Hold on, I'll look it up....


......okay, here it is (above), and it's by Low, the editorial cartoonist. I'm not a fan of Keynes economics but he inspired some good caricatures. The poor guy had the problem that lots of tall people have: "What'll I do with my legs?"


I'm not a fan of Samuel Beckett, either (above). I actually had to walk out of one of his plays, "Krapp's Last Tape", after paying full price. There was just no beauty in it, nothing to reward the audience for showing up. I have to admit, though, that he did take a good photograph. Geez, it kinda takes the sting out of old age if you get to look chiseled and cool like Beckett.


David Levine liked to caricature him (above).


And while we're on the subject of craggy faces, how about that ultimate craggy-faced poet....W. H. Auden? In old age his face retained youthful proportions but his skin looked like a road map. 

  
Once more (above), a caricature by David Levine. Levine loved to draw wrinkles.

4 comments:

M said...

That looks to me like the painter Balthus.

Unknown said...

Speaking of Keynesian economics, these caricatures of present day economists Paul Krugman and Bob Murphy are awesome.

http://consultingbyrpm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Murphy-Krugman-Caricature.jpg

That's Hayek and Keynes on the left boxing with each other. Pretty neat, huh? These days, I'm much more sympathetic to monetarism and its variants than either Austrianism or Keynesianism though I have also largely become much more apolitical in the passing months.

Gold and silver have taken a huge beating this year and are possibly going into a bear market if you haven't heard about the news regarding those volatile commodities.

Anyways, awesome photos all around. The one of Carradine is my favorite.

Robert Schaad said...

Don't know why, but the WH Auden pic reminds me of the composer John Cage...who was hilarious btw.

ardy said...

I always love these pictures you post. I still visit "If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger..." on a regular basis after your recommendation. Any other secret resources for old photos you'd care to share, or do you mostly do google image surfing?