Wednesday, October 26, 2016

CREEPY PORTRAITS


I love family portraits, especially those of evil, deceased matriarchs or patriarchs who continue to inspire fear in the family they left behind. 

Of particular interest are the ones who left a will that constrains the family to live in a gloomy, joyless old house for the rest of their lives. 


Maybe their portraits contain the clues needed to discover a hidden treasure, buried somewhere in the house. 


Poor Aunt Matilda: she greedily stared at her father's portrait for years, hoping to discover its secret. Some say that's how she acquired her father's deviant personality. Others say she went mad. 


A death mask (above) was left behind. The terms of the will required it to hang on the wall overlooking the dinner table.


A greedy relative (above) and her worthless husband once stayed in the house for a summer while they tore apart walls looking for the money. Matilda won't say what happened to them.


Yikes! I'm scaring myself! I think I'll change the subject. Let me lighten things up with this cheery picture (above) of Sadie Hawkins, drawn by Al Capp.


Hmmmm. I wonder what Matilda would have thought of Sadie Hawkins...no wait, I said I'd change the subject.


Okay, I'm leaving now. Bye!


5 comments:

nodnarB said...

LOL! portraits are very inspiring!

Lucas Nine said...

Who did the Crawfords?

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Lucas: I'd like to know that myself. I wonder if it was the same artist who did the orange picture of the seated woman.

Lucas Nine said...

I think it is. I´d say the seated woman is a younger Crawford, but I´m not sure.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Lucas: Wow! An interesting guess! There are some similarities.