Saturday, May 19, 2007

DAUMIER AGAIN

Are you tired of seeing this stuff? I love it myself. Daumier was instrumental in beginning newspaper cartoons so every cartoonist should raise a glass to him occassionally. Here he is (above) on a roof striking a heroic pose for his fans.

This bust (above) was in the Daumier book but it doesn't look like Daumier did it. I include the caption in case that helps. Anyway, it's a terrific caricature isn't it?





Here (above and below) are three drawings by Daumier. Boy, Daumier and Thomas Nast together certainly were a scourge on the back of bureaucracy.


Bill linked to some of these on his site but I thought I'd publish them again because these copies seem to be larger with more detail.










8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will never get sick of reading about Daumier, Eddie. He was the godfather of cartooning; more cartoonists should recognise and appreciate his contribution to the art form!

~ Jason

JohnK said...

He reminds me of Pierre.

Kali Fontecchio said...

I like his drawings better than his sculpture. They're more appealing to me.

Sean Worsham said...

From most posters attention in comments section: Ancient women -1 Daumier -0. What a world we live in. Great drawings from Daumier though :).

William said...

His drawings are a strange sort of caricature, so pure and complete that at first they don't appear to be caricatures; but straight portraits. Brilliant.

3awashi thani said...

i adore daumier ^^ so much so in fact i plan to save all these pictures into my computer to ogle at for hours and hours.
your posts are always so intersting, uncle eddie

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kali; his drawings are a lot more interesting.

If you like semi-realistic caricature paintings, check this guy out. He's very good:

http://www.thomasfluharty.blogspot.com/

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Brian: Thanks for the Fluharty link. He can definitely draw! His zeal for religion reminds me of Basil Wolverton. Maybe if Wolverton had a blog it would have read like Fluharty's.