Thursday, September 23, 2010

HOMEMADE HALLOWEEN MASKS


































Nice work (left), huh? But I'm afraid I don't have a name to go with the image.


I'd call this (above) a mask. Sort of.

























This (above) isn't exactly homemade, but it looks that way, so I'll include it.


                                            This kid's (above) got talent!



















Above, kid masks displayed on black velvet. I LOVE stuff like this. If you're an adult, you can't fake that kid sensibility. Hmmm. I wonder if kids could be persuaded to sell the masks they make?


I love masks that attempt to depict ordinary people (above). 
         

Good Grief! It's John Travolta (above, left) and Elsa Maxwell (below, right)!


Above, another mask depicting an ordinary citizen. Masks like this one are a great comment on the human race. We try to be hip, famous, beautiful, debonair...but paper mache masks reveal that we're basically just bags of guts on stilts. It's humbling.



Above, a real human face has been captured and branded by color that simply oozed out of the ether beside the person. I always think of color as a strangely malevolent thing that tries to dominate us, maybe  even eat us, when we attempt to manipulate it.

Or maybe malevolent isn't the word. Color is just...indifferent to us...it has its own high-energy, anarchic nature, and only the most fearless and skilled human beings can successfully harness it. 

Wow! Nice color (above) on that yellow mask!


Good Lord! A face (above) like a sting chord!
You have to marvel at the way masks convey emotion so directly and powerfully. 

Above, the artist decided to use the crumpled look that paper mache often has.


Above, a macaroni and glue creature.  It's a nice stand-alone sculpture,  but you might use it as a mask or a hat.




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of these are so creepy (even for me), that I have a hunch that they would have given me nightmares as a child, especially the sting chord mask. Perfect for Halloween pranks or scaring.

What happened to Pizza Boy Part V? It looked look another superb installment to the series, but it seemed like that was a work in progress. Don't tell me Blogger's doing it again. Ugh.

Alberto said...

That's not a macaroni glue creature, it's the Flying spaghetti monster. And yes it would be a good halloween outfit!

pappy d said...

You made my day, Eddie! Poetic & keenly observed.

Brubaker said...

Flying Spaghetti Monster for the worth!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto, Rooni: Sorry about that. I posted that accidentally and only realized it when Rooni wrote to me about it (Thanks, Rooni!). I was just toying with the opening to see if it worked, and it didn't.

When the episode is finally up it'll be a lot longer than what you saw.

Alberto, Pappy: Thanks!

Steven M. said...

That moon, crumpled mask, and macaroni monster are awesome.

Zoran Taylor said...

The costume at the very top is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Heh! that last one is the Flying Sphagetti Monster


I tried making masks as a kid sometimes but always failed.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Zoran: The greatest thing!!? Holy Cow!

thomas said...

nice selection. The sad lady reminds me of a jJames Thurberr cartoon.

Cat Ray said...

These would make such good halloween masks .