Sunday, May 27, 2012

A FRENCH PHILOSOPHY GIRL



INT. ANTEROOM OF OFFICE RESTROOM, PARIS: 


JEAN PIERRE: "Hey in there! Other people need to use the facility, too!"



CHANTALLE: "Sorry. Somebody left a magazine in there, and it had an article about Uncle Eddie. I just had to read it."

JEAN PIERRE: "Uncle Eddie? The internet guy? Why read about him?"


CHANTALLE: "Why read about......??? You must be kidding!"


CHANTALLE: "Gasp! Oh, I get it. You're jealous!"


JEAN PIERRE: "Why would I be jealous? He has a nose like a pickle. Besides, he's John K's toady. Everybody knows that."


CHANTALLE: "Uncle Eddie's nobody's toady. He does Theory Corner and Theory Corner sponsors The Philosophy Girls."


CHANTALLE: "I'm thinking about trying out for the Philosophy Girls.  They travel all around the world, arguing and persuading in the service of truth and wisdom. Only the top 15% of applicants are accepted."


JEAN PIERRE: "Well that's all well and good, but I'm a member of...(Ahem!)... the...um... Philosophy Boys. It's an even more elite group. Only the top 5% are accepted."


CHANTALLE: "Really? What do they do?"


JEAN PIERRE: "Do? They...er...wear the coveted Philosophy Boys blue blazer, of course. We never go anywhere without it."


CHANTALLE: "Hehe! Well, if you never go anywhere without it, how come you're not wearing it now?"

JEAN PIERRE: "Er...it's in the next room. Stay here and I'll bring it in."


OUTSIDE, ON THE STREET: 

JEAN PIERRE: "Quick! Anybody have a blue blazer to sell!? You Sir, would you like to sell y...Madame, would you....."

***************

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is another great photo story! I hope I didn't hurt you or John personally with that comment I left on the Clampett post you did the other day. I was just trying to offer a possible theory on why critics tend to look down upon the Clampett cartoons.

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Good stuff Eddie, as soon as I find a coonskin cap (They're surprisingly scarce) I'll be eligible for Theory Corners second most illustrious group; the Royal Order of Muskrat.

Anonymous said...

Nice to know you have a hotline to the French New Wave for your Philosophy Girl School of Higher Learning.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: No offence taken. As for the critics: they miss as often as they hit. I'm still mad because it took decades for them to warm up to Sergio Leone's westerns. They regarded films like "For a Few Dollars More" as just another spaghetti western.

Joshua: Thanks for the reminder. I need to do more Muskrat stories.

You can get coonskin hats at costume houses on the net.

Stephen: Yeah, those pictures were from "Masculine/Feminine," my favorite French film.

Anonymous said...

I wondered. I haven't seen that one yet. I love a lot of the movies the New Wave guys did in the early 60s. They really used black and white to good effect, as it enhances the youthful appeal of the actors and actresses as well as highlighting the magic and mystery of Paris.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

stephen: Very true! BTW: the cinematographer on that film was Willy Kurant. I'm not a fan of his color photography, but he's one of the kings of black and white.