Thursday, September 20, 2012

MY DINNER WITH KENT

INT. LIDO'S PIZZA:

KENT: "Eddie! Is that you? How are ya these days!?"

EDDIE (VO): "I'm great! Have a seat!"

KENT ORDERS, THEN.....

KENT: "I've gotta eat quick! There's more Mack Sennett films on TCM tonight, starting at five. I think they're gonna show 'Mickey.' If I remember right that was directed by Mable Normand. Some people say she was the real brains behind the Sennett studio."


EDDIE (VO): "Mable was great, but 'the real brains?' I don't know......she only had less than two good years so far as I can tell."

KENT: "Yeah, she wasn't the same after the the vase. You heard about that, right?"

EDDIE (VO) :"The vase?"


KENT: "Yeah. Her and Sennett were lovers, but one day she walked in and found him in bed with one of his actresses. She threw a fit and the actress whacked her on the head with a vase. It sent her to the hospital."

EDDIE (VO): "Yikes!"

KENT: "Mabel never quite recovered. Or maybe she did, but the drugs she was taking took hold. Whatever it was, her acting was never the same. Sennett gave her her own studio as an apology."

EDDIE (VO): "Wow. I remember Sid Caesar saying you should never become romantically involved with your acting partner, no matter how great the temptation. He was always politely distant with Imogene Coca offstage because he didn't want to mess with the chemistry they had infront of the camera."


KENT: "That sounds right. Anyway, Sennett went on to do the Keystone Cops and The Bathing Beauties, so I guess he landed on his feet."

EDDIE (VO): "Sennett was a genius. My favorites are the early slapstick films he directed himself. And I love the way he could choreograph crowds."


KENT: "Yeah, like those restaurant sequences where everybody in the shot's doing something interesting....the waiters just barely avoiding dropping the tray in someone's lap, the customers arguing or pitching woo to each other, or flirting with somebody at the next table. You almost don't know where to look because it's all so rich, but it works."


EDDIE (VO): "What do you think the best Sennett films were?"

KENT: "The best??? Er.....the ones he did with Keaten or Arbuckle or Chaplin? Geez, I don't know. Even Langden did some good films with Sennett."



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there any DVD collection of these shorts I can order somewhere? I keep forgetting that TCM is playing these shorts and I don't have time to stay up until 4 in the morning just to watch them. My mother is the only one in the house with a DVR.

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

I'm not too familiar with the Sennett comedies but the ones I have seen were incredibly dangerous. I recall a movie where an actress was clearly interacting with a real lion. This was no split-screen effect either. Another showed the behind the scenes making of a comedy and a huge fan was used to create a windy day. It was just a naked spinning propeller with no cage around it! Those were the days.

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nsK1vitMg&feature=related

Pardon me for imposing this change of topic, but above is a link to a fascinating documentary on Coney Island that I think you may enjoy.

The story is beautiful and horrifying. The footage of the original Luna Park and Dreamland show how closely Wisnor McCay patterned Nemo's Slumberland after them.

I hope you like it as much as I did.

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

Sorry, here is the link on Coney Island I meant to send:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0nsK1vitMg&feature=related

Ted Blackman said...

Poor Mable. She had tuberculosis and died when she was only 37, I believe. Like many she couldn't make the transition into talkies, and the scandals didnt help either. Her triangle-shaped studio that Sennett built for her is still standing in Silverlake. I went there and even went inside for a look about 8 years ago.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joel: Thanks a million for the Coney Island link! I started to watch it late Saturday night and was too sleepy to continue, but the beginning looked great! I promise to watch this Sunday morning!

Roberto: Probably a large collection will come out early in the winter or early spring.

Ted: It's still there!? Holy Cow! I've gotta see it!

mike fontanelli said...

Hi, Kent!

BTW, the actress who brained Mabel with the vase was none other than Mae Busch, ("Mrs. Hardy" in SONS OF THE DESERT, among many other L&H classics produced by Sennett's rival, Hal Roach.)

Kent B said...

Thanks for making me look good, Eddie!

Hi Mike - Mabel was responsible for "making" Chaplin & Arbuckle's careers, directing their early pictures and creating gags for all the early Sennett productions. Unfortunately the brain damage, drugs (prescribed for pain), the William Desmond Taylor murder & the Arbuckle scandal all took their toll.