Monday, January 29, 2007

PHILOSOPHY CORNER

UNCLE EDDIE: "Sophie! So you think it's wrong to label people. Tell me why!"


SOPHIE: "It's very simple, Uncle Eddie. Labeling a person reduces them to a simplistic cliche. You don't listen to the real argument people make because you're addressing yourself to a cardboard caricature."

UNCLE EDDIE: "But Sophie, labeling is necessary. Most people's thinking does fall into an existing category of belief, even if they're not aware of it. Recognizing that allows you to take shortcuts and get to the center of their argument quickly."


SOPHIE: "But each man is unique, especially the thinking man. Maybe each individual has his own deviations from the mainstream thinking of his side."

UNCLE EDDIE: "Of course he has his own deviations but it's still usefull to open up an argument by attacking the generalization he represents. This forces the man to quickly shed the indefensible parts of his argument. Doing that clears the air quickly and
focuses the argument on the real areas of disagreement."


SOPHIE: "Hmmmm...I never thought of that before. Uncle Eddie, it's difficult to argue with you. You're eyes...a woman could... a woman could get lost in them."


UNCLE EDDIE: "Many do, inquisitive one. Many do."

Note: Thanks to Mad magazine for the graphics. Buy Mad so I don't get sued.




19 comments:

Max Ward said...

The graphics are so excellent, yo use them so well. Haha, Eddie you're such a funny guy.

Is that Wood or Davis?

Kali Fontecchio said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Uncle Eddie, your eyes! Oh God!

Jenny Lerew said...

Kali took the words right out of my mouth! "Nuff said.

Jenny Lerew said...

Max: I guess Wood. Am I right?

Max Ward said...

I'll go with Wood too.

Gabriel said...

ok, teach us the eye trick!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Jenny you can have my words, I don't want them anymore hahahaha!

Soos said...

To offer a counterpoint, though, relying on labels often diminishes one's understanding of nuance and can result in an oversimplified world view that refuses to consider (and can be incapable of understanding) complex viewpoints that the hegemony of one's own label have not provided a response to. Objective reasoning becomes impossible as the positive or negative impression you have of that label tends to override logical thought.

Sean Worsham said...

HAHHAHAAHAHAHAH Eddie you're my favorite creepy old-man pervert stereotype!

Also Mad rules. Mort Drucker, Sergio Argones, Paul Coker Jr., Don Martin, Harvey Kurtzman, Jack Davis and Sam Viviano (and Bill Wray) are my favorites! :) I'll post some of my Mad inspired drawings on my blog soon. I did them as signs at my old college (AAU).

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Max, Jenny: Yep, Wood! I love the lighting on the close-up faces.

Max Ward said...

That lighting is really cool, and subtle. I barely noticed it at first, it just seems so natural.

Jimbo said...

Eddie, you are the God of blogging. Was that Wally Wood?

Jimbo said...

Never mind I just read the end of the comments. I have some of your video game designs for Spumco. Can I post them on my blog?

Max Ward said...

Hey Eddie,

When I graduate from college (which isn't 3-4 years from now) would you speak at my graduation(I'm serious)? I'll do all the booking.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jim: Thanks for the compliment! I just visited your blog after being absent for a bit and was much impressed! It was great to hear praise for Jeff Jones who gets little mention these days, and the life drawings and caricatures were great! Who was the life drawing teacher?

Sure, you can put up my drawings.

Max: Sure, I'll talk at your graduation, even though that's in the year 2057 and you'll probably have changed your mind by then. Honestly, I'm really touched that you even brought the subject up.

Lee-Roy said...

too perfect and a great dialogue. i agree with both sides!

Jimbo said...

To Eddie: Hey dude. Thanks for thanking me. There was no actual teacher. It is a group of models who normally pose for life drawing at the cartoon studios. They just pose for whoever wants to draw or paint them. It is the crazy scene man. Like Greenwich Village, dig? They have a bar and they ask for a willful donation or whatever a fella can afford. I would love to be the teacher there but they would probably just yell "Hey, sit down jerk!"

Unknown said...

I knew it was Wood cuz I'm one o' them genius fellas, like the doctors down to the science lab where I work sweepin' up the floor. Whenever I do somethin' to make my bosses face turn red, everyone laughs and say, "Joel, yur a genius!"

One day I'ma finish readin this Mad comic book. I like yur pictures here but them words hurt my head to read.

Unknown said...

your posts are teh equivalent to hip hop poetry mash-up records of the future (where hip-hop mash-ups are considered classical art and DJ Ruby Tuesday is beholden like a god!)