Saturday, November 03, 2012

TRICK OR TREATERS

I've been taking a lot of pictures lately and usually I have to venture out into the world and do some digging in order to find fit subjects. It never occurred to me til it was too late that Halloween is the one day of the year when fit subjects come to your door in droves and practically beg to be photographed. So...Rats!...I didn't get any Halloween kid photos.

If I had, they'd probably have looked like the pictures assembled here....Halloween as kids experience it, mostly taken down at their level.


This (above) is my favorite of the bunch. It shows an earnest kid and her loyal dog taking care of business.


The best pictures are often simple and the one I'd have died to have gotten was one I saw of a kid and his mother simply getting out of a car in a parking lot. The kid was scruffy and ungainly, just a typical ragamuffin of a kid, but he was happy as could be, boxing imaginary bad guys in his Spiderman costume.

His mother tried to look haggard and adult for the sake of the other mothers who were standing around, but she couldn't conceal her happiness at being with her kid at that moment. She was radiant.


And why shouldn't she be? The kid who looked so scruffy and average to me was an object of infinite beauty and pride to her. You could have offered The Hope Diamond for the kid and she wouldn't have taken it...a clear case of value beyond price.

I felt good for the kid, too. With a mother like that the kid had a chance in life. He'd grow up humane and confident and able to pass that gift on to his own kids.


1 comment:

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

from Eddie: I'll have to make my own comment on this post.

When I showed it to my friends they all said that it was a good thing I didn't take pictures of the kids, because nowadays only molesters do that. Unbelievable! At first I thought they were joking.

How do you become a photographer these days? Nobody wants their picture taken.