Wednesday, November 28, 2012

ARTISTS' HOMES

You expect artists, especially painters, to live in strange-looking houses (above), and thankfully some do, but most live in more sedate environments. I'm glad that at least some painters live in houses not far removed from the kind the rest of us live in. That way we ordinary people can benefit from seeing how painters transform ordinary houses, and make them seem special.


So here's an ordinary home (above)....very cheerful, very neat....


 ...and here's (above) a painter's house. Not cheerful exactly, but very cozy.


It looks like a place where way too much marijuana gets consumed, but I like the emphasis on color. You can see the influence of South America and India.


This house fairly shouts, "A hippie artist lives here!"


A number of California painters I've met live in bungalows (above). I wonder if the price  above was, more than a hundred years ago, the asking price.

.
Maybe it was the cost of the plans. A lot of people built their own houses from mail order designs.


Bungalows I've seen (above) had pretty good landscaping. Artists are good at stuff like that.


Good bathrooms, too.


Sorry about the girl. I looked all over the net for pictures of the kind of Bungalow bedroom I was looking for, and the only one I could find was this one, which is "R" rated.

If you can bring yourself to look past the model, notice how simple and beautiful the room is. The dark brown of the wood, the detailing on the windows, the colorful bedspread, the tactile rug, the human scale of things...it's a great look. You'll never see rooms like this in Architectural Digest. These rooms weren't meant to be fancy. They were meant to look lived in. Artists thrive in places like this.




3 comments:

Joel Brinkerhoff said...

That nude building is pretty impressive. I'm wondering if the structural forms in the back of the head are for the hair that is yet to be done? Where is this building and what year was this made? Have you seen it completed?

It reminds me of the fanciful building of the 30's like The Brown Derby, and those buildings that look like teapots or elephants.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Joel: I don't know where this picture came from. It languished in my picture file with no explanation.

Alberto said...

I love that bathroom. I would imagine the steam from showers and baths help the plants thrive in that room.

I love all these eccentric homes, and I especially love bungalows. But sadly, very successful artists (the ones that get on TV) seem to live in very sterile, minimalist houses.