Wednesday, June 19, 2013

JOHN K CARICATURES EDDIE


A few days ago John did this caricature of me (above) in my copy of the newly published Spumco Comic Book anthology. Wow! I look ten million years old...even the flies around my head look old...but it's me alright, no doubt about it. The part of the inscription that's missing reads (Ahem!)....."To that renowned cartoonist and scholar..."

Who knows? In a hundred years this caricature in this book might end up in The Louvre and I'll have the posthumous satisfaction of being displayed under the same roof as Rubens and DaVinci. 


A couple of days later another caricature (above)! This time I'm an arch villain encased in ice.


For comparison, here's (above) what I really look like, and that's the book containing the caricature.


I'm in this book...well, sort of. In the book a guy who looks just like me is the neighborhood butcher, Victor Lugnuts.


Victor has no buck teeth, so the resemblance isn't 100%, but it's still close. Gee, that's a really appealing drawing. I'm guessing John did the pencil roughs, Mike cleaned them up and Shane did the inks.


Above, a masterful shot of the back of Victor Lugnuts' head.  Art students take note: get hold of this book even if you have to sacrifice to do it.

6 comments:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

I was admiring that very panel last night, the back of Victors head, while reading my copy.
I'm only part way through but some fans noticed that the book doesn't have all the stories from Spumco comics, Jimmys adventures in babysitting for example. Hopefully we'll get another volume sometime in the future, like Yoe publishers did for Popeye.

Also, I don't know if you knew him but country yodeler Slim Whitman died today. Listen to his famous 'Indian Love Call' in his memory.

Unknown said...

I have an idea for Craig Yoe's next book! A book full of NOTHING but caricatures of you from not only John, but all the various people that you've worked with over the years.

Victor Lugnut looks like a really cool character to work with. I love how the eyes are drawn. It's sort of how I try to draw eyes. I try to avoid drawing pin like dots and super big furry like eyes in my cartoons. Lugnut has the balance that I strive for usually. I think Vincent Waller might have also had some influence in the way that these comics turned out but I'm not exactly sure.

I'm trying to be as frugal as I can with my money, so I don't think I'll be buying the book right away even though I know it's another cartoonist essential. There are two other books I was interested in buying, including
Charles Brubaker's latest comic book. It would probably cost me up to 42 dollars if I bought all that stuff now. One of the books is on Amazon Kindle.

Unknown said...

Cartoonist inspiration: 1970s photos of New York City. I saw this on a Twitter page of one of the radio hosts that I listen to.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/32-stunning-photos-of-new-york-city-in-the-1970s

Jennifer said...

This'll be a fun book for future artists. I hope that it does well in sales. I'm a big fan of John's artwork.

By the way, I don't know if anyone ever told you this - you bear a resemblance to Joe Dimaggio. I was watching the new documentary Love, Marilyn, and they featured him a lot in the documentary. The first thing that I noticed was that he didn't look exactly like you, but he bore a resemblance to you, especially when he was older. I think that it's the nose and the overbite.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer: Joe DiMaggio!!??? It took me a moment to adjust but now...yeah, I can see that. Not a hundred percent, but definitely some of me in Joe.

Joshua: Thanks for the link. He did do a great "Indian Love Call."

paul said...

Gee whiz, Mr. Eddie Fitzgerald, that's some fatty, manly, and juicy drawing of Victor's head's 3/4 back shot!_or is it 7/8th's?