Monday, June 03, 2013

MY TRIP TO DISNEYLAND



I've seen lots of vintage photos of The Mad Hatter (above) and I wanted to have my picture taken with him. Alas, he was nowhere to be seen.


Horace Horsecollar's girlfriend (above) was there....

....as was Grumpy (above). It wouldn't be Disneyland without Grumpy.


There's a new attraction in Disneyland called Pixie Hollow, and it's pretty well done. It even has a Don Martin-type frog pond, but I wasn't able to get a picture of it.


The Hollow is the home of the Five Princesses (above). Little girls wearing princess costumes flock to the Hollow to pal around with beautiful grown-up princesses.


 When I was there the The Five were on a lunch break and the little girls were going nuts with waiting.


Later I made my way to Fantasyland.


Disneyland excels at handling crowds. People in this picture (above) are almost shoulder to shoulder yet they remain even-tempered. The sights and sounds are no doubt diverting, and so are the people watching opportunities, but above all for me is the fascinating use of architectural space. I couldn't take my eyes off it!


I got some dirty looks when I took shots of the crowd. Sheesh! What was that about? Was everybody there on the lamb from the law? Maybe I stumbled into some kind of felons convention.


I stopped at some stores and was impressed by the props on the shelves along the walls. 


You can't buy these props, they're for display only.


How'd you like to have that crawling monster (above) on your wall?


I wish I'd gotten more shots of Adventureland. 


Here I am (above) in Minnie Mouse's house. Boy, Minnie has good taste in architecture!

  
I want to live in this house! I hope the designer got some sort of prize.


I've gotta go back to Disneyland soon. It's a photographer's dream! 


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Cartoon eye candy. Beautiful! I've actually never been to Disneyland or Disney World ever but this had me all excited.

There's a ton of controversy brewing over this new cartoon that a Baby Looney Tunes writer created. I watched this whole video and it seemed like a pretty harmless concept to me. The characters are even laughing at Guy's transformation and costume.

There are seriously people who still believe that being gay is a lifestyle "choice" though despite the amount of evidence that disproves such claims.

I don't think kids are really going to care or give a flying damn about whether the character dresses into a girl costume or not as long as the characters are funny and compelling and aren't talking pieces of wallpaper.

Too bad the flash animation isn't that good and there's a really weird thing going on with Kelly's eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3z-CRNi-E

What did you think of the "Bad" clip I linked the other day? There are far better scenes than that like when Walter White goes completely insane at the end of one of the episodes. It really reminds me of the many times Ren laughed in a maniacal way. You can really feel the Sergio Leone and film noir influence in a lot of the episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfK5JyD2bA

I won't spoil any more of the show, but it's one of those that you have to see from the very beginning. I burned through the whole show in about a week on Netflix Instant and got to see season 5 through a torrent, but they are releasing those 8 episodes on DVD tomorrow on Amazon.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Yikes! I disagree. I wouldn't have wanted my kids to watch a show like that. I don't have anything at all against gays or transgender people, but I'd still prefer that my kids were straight. Life is easier for straights and besides, I want grandchildren.

I've never examined the evidence you cited, but I'd be surprised if it was trustworthy. It sounds like one of those issues where Democrat scientists get one result and Republican scientists get another.

I tried to watch the video you linked to and my computer wouldn't allow it. I'll try again.

Unknown said...

Well there is some truth to what you said, but to me this cartoon in terms of presentation seems far tamer than some of the cartoons Nickelodeon had on back in the 1990s despite the subject matter.

Being gay or transgendered comes with a lot of negative social taboos that could be detrimental to that specific person and I understand that it's typically harder for LGBT folks to live a normal existence for societal reasons.

I am of the opinion that marriage is a financial contract that should only be done if both partners have the proper income to do so and to cover stuff like child support in the event that they get divorced. I have no personal desire to be married unless the circumstances were perfectly right or after I've made a good, prosperous career for myself.

Sorry about your computer. It's making you miss out on one of my all time favorite scenes from the entire show. It says quite a lot about the main character in just a few minutes. He feels that all has been lost so he unleashes in the inner monster in himself.

It also demonstrates a huge difference between live action and animation in the way character personalities are evolved overtime. There aren't that many cartoon characters that we could easily despise and root for many different reasons and Walter White is a perfect example of the antihero character in action. Cartoon personalities tend to be a lot more black and white and rely on stock or formula.

I don't have much to do this summer except college orienation, so I'm just going through some shows that I've always wanted to see. I've started Mad Men recently and am waiting for the first DVD disc of the HBO series The Wire to come in.

Game of Thrones and the Dr. Who revival that Stephen Moffat has been involved with as a showrunner are also on my must see list, but I don't know whether I'll be able to get to all of them or not.

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

I visited Minnie and Mickeys house when I went to Disneyland when I was very young.
I recall we shuffled through it like a museum tour looking at all the cartoony furniture until we got to the end when we went through the exit and ... MICKEY WAS THERE!
He had on a pair if bathing shorts and a towel around his neck with his name embroidered on it like he'd just gotten out of the shower, similar to Humphrey Bogart in this photo: http://bit.ly/132rTHl
There were what appeared to be a team of Lawyers and agents around him with clipboards hounding him to sign off on new projects but Mickey shooed them away to greet us tourists.
I guess it was all for show but boy, it really did feel like meeting a movie star.

Stephen Worth said...

You didn't tell the story about being recognized in the gift shop! That was the best story of all!

Jennifer said...

So did you pay the $90 to get into the park? :)

I'm glad that you had fun!

kurtwil said...

Next time you go to Disneyland, Eddie, it would be fun to learn if the Princess characters roaming the park are re-dressed/re-styled to match Disney's recent "freshenings" (the new Barbie-Ella, the new Anorexic Aurora and Belle, etc).