Friday, May 07, 2010

MORE MAPS (PART 1)

I hadn't intended to put up more maps, but I just came across a treasure trove of interesting cartography, and I couldn't resist putting up some examples here.  The map above is Japanese, from the time of World War l.

Above, a detail showing Western Europe. Note the arrows in Germany, including an arrow labled "Japan." What does that refer to?

I did all this research in an attempt to answer Katie's request for the address of the guy selling posters of Keith Thompson's "The Great War 1914," shown in a post below. I finally found it: 



http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/grandmap.html


The price seems steep considering the size of the poster, which is only 13" X 19." On the other hand, if the poster is half as beautiful as the reproduction on this site, it'll be worth it. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really just the wrong publishing engine to try to do this overlap thing.

Steven M. said...

All this is interiging.

Anonymous said...

Now I'd like to see a funny, talented cartoonist draw a map. I recall that when I was younger, in elementary school, I used to draw a bunch of fake maps for fun, or at least fake landmarks and islands.

pappy d said...

It's cool to see one of these from an Asian point of view. The political references are mostly inscrutable to me, but I totally get the Japanese view of Britain as a sea monster. Africa has been sliced up & political boundaries arbitrarily stitched together by the Great Powers. Ominously, China is a merchant pig, bloated with surplus resources.