Sunday, May 30, 2010

PHOTOSHOP PRACTICE

Boy, Photoshop really is a fun program. There's a lot you can do with it, even at the primitive level that I'm working at.  I keep making mistakes though, like the one above, which seems to read "Theory Corned."















I wanted a logo I could use for a short science fiction story I was thinking of writing for the blog. I only have a title so far: "Feel My Fangs on Your Space Helmet."

I'm torn between using letters that are pure color, with no outline (above)...














...and outlined lettering (above), which is easier to read, but more conventional.

Without borders the words appear to be floating in the air, as if they were shrieks of horror uttered by some alien creature that just found itself bitten in half.  With borders the letters appear to be simple conventions of the publishing industry.



BTW: It's Memorial Day and I'll take this opportunity to say thanks to American soldiers past and present who made it possible for people like me to express ourselves freely in blogs like this one. Your sacrifices are much appreciated! 


























5 comments:

Steven M. said...

Not bad. There much better then what I can do on that program.

FriedMilk said...

Maybe you just need more contrast in the background. I think the pale reds and yellows are what's making it hard to read.

Anonymous said...

Eddie, you're really good at using Photoshop, in my honest opinion. I think I had a free trial of it a few years ago, and I could barely do anything with it. It seemed very complicated to me at the time. Please post more!

thomas said...

I like the first one. The second one; the background is hard to read and the shadow just makes it read as 2D... the letters be casting shadows on a flat surface.

The background is quite cartoony....

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Fried, Thomas: Thanks for the comments. I don't know how to do form-fitting shadows yet, except maybe to brush them in. I'm glad you brought it up. More contrast in the BG sounds right, too. Many thanks!

Rooni, Roberto: I might do a pamphlet on getting started on Photoshop. I have the advantage of just having learned some of it, so I have the zeal of the newly converted. The problem is that there's very few people who would need such a booklet now.