Sunday, April 15, 2007

THE BEST CONVERTIBLE EVER


The car above isn't the best convertible ever, I just put it there as a teaser. No modern car qualifies. The modern aesthetic allows only the head to appear behind the wheel. You can't get an open car feel when you're cocooned that way. 


Early convertibles had a better idea: They (above) were a sofa sitting atop a motorized carriage. The driver was high off the street and could feel the wind all over his body. Driving it must have seemed like a magic carpet ride. If you didn't look down you'd hardly be aware you were in a car. It would seem like your seat was just floating down the street.



Okay, here's (above) my pick for the best convertible design of all, the best of the best. I speak of the Stanley Steamer. It has all the advantages of the austere gas-propelled car at the top of the post but is a beautiful work of art besides. I actually had a short ride in one of these, thanks to Jay Leno.


Here's (above) a later version of the Stanley. It's still beautiful but now you have to open a door to get in and you're behind the engine rather than above it. It's a great design but I prefer the earlier green and brass model. In the newer version the driver is a functioning part of the car's steering and control rather than a god-like figure who floats above it.


Here's (above) a Mercer Raceabout. The dashboard is far in front of the driver so he still feels somewhat independent of the car. No doors, a beautiful piece of work. This is one of the last convertibles that really delivered the convertible experience. After this drivers would sit in enclosed boxes.



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

But where does the dragula dragster come in this ranking? I'm confused.
http://www.classictvhits.com/munsters/koach.html


Reg Kehoe

Max Ward said...

In Pittsburgh, we have Henry Clay Frick's estate that is now a museum. He was a car enthusiast, so his old garage is now a transportation museum. In there is a genuine Stanley Steamer and there is a short film about Stanley Steamer's to go with it.

There is alot here in Pittsburgh that you would like, Eddie. If you ever travel East, plan a stop to Pittsburgh.

Lester Hunt said...

My favorite convertible is my Jeep Wrangler! It looks just like the one in this picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler

The design is something of a throwback to the pre-aerodynamic days of your Steamers. Better yet, the doors can be removed and the Windshield folded down! Talk about wind in your face! Yeeha!

Jenny Lerew said...

ZOMG! I LOVE Stanley Steamers!! I didn't know you gave a fig for old cars!

Jenny Lerew said...

My favorite convertible (and the car I always wished I had) was one I saw when tagging along(as usual)to the L.A. Auto show when I was 14: an MG Midget.

Never got one, alas. The Miata was the closest I could do...#2 choice: a 1970 Ghia. : )

William said...

In being obsessed with cars I can only be overjoyed by this post.

and Even more overjoyed by the alarming presence of the Mercer Raceabout. What a sexy old little car! When I found out Jay Leno has one, I flipped!

Vincent Waller said...

Oh how I miss my 67' impala convertible. No seat belts for the folks in back. No doubt so that in case of an accident they can be thrown clear, to land harmlessly on the downy soft clover that borders our highways. I miss the joy of turning to see my passangers frozen death grimace smiles that said I'm going to die! Oh god I'm going to die!

I.D.R.C. said...

Hate to point it out, but it's not really a convertible if it never had a top.

I have to say for sheer absurdity in the face of safety, those sprawling '59 Caddy convertibles had it all. Big engines, no seatbelts, floaty suspension, and, if you survived long anough to find seclusion, plenty of room to do the nasty.

Sean Worsham said...

I see your point Eddie, But DAMN! :)

I'd get a red Convertible over those anyday XD


Those old cars are cool for collector purposes though and they have good design for their time. Sorry to sound like a jerk n' all, it's just my preference.

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's great.

Anonymous said...

DEFINATELY that last one!

DAMN! I have a little book of cars from the teens, 20s and 30s but I can't find it now!

What do you think of the sci-fi streamlined design of this convertible from the 20s?

Function can be beautiful!

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/speedmachines/images/i_landspeed1.jpg

http://classics.com/images03/r03-06.jpg

http://www.thewoundandwound.com/images/novelties/102404/GoldenArrow.jpg

http://www.schylling.com/Tin2006/GACAR-2.jpg

William said...

Jorge, if you like the Arrow you should check out Barney Oldfield's Golden Submarine. It was one of the first if not the first enclosed, streamlined design. Plus, I mean, Barney Oldfield, come on.

http://www.vintageracecars.com/sub.htm
Made in 1917 and the specs still amaze.

Anonymous said...

^NOW THAT'S AN AUTOMOBILE! ARGGHHHH!!!

How did we go from THAT to THIS

Jenny Lerew said...

One more: the yellow Morgan Mel Brooks drives in Silent Movie. Gee, I loved that car.

applepwnz said...

This makes me think of the car from The Munsters, but anyways... convertables pale compared to Monorails!!! You should totally make a post about monorails Eddie, they're the greatest form of land transportation!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Apple: Monorails would be better if they had side windows that could open...like the kind trolleys used to have. When you're riding them monorails are just like regular trains. You have to be able to lean out the side and look down to get that flying effect.