Sunday, March 29, 2009

AT LAST: AN AFFORDABLE 2D ANIMATION PROGRAM!


At Last! A pencil test program that's cheap and easy to use, and has most of the features that animators look for. At least I think it does...I only just found out about it, and haven't actually tried it. 

I've been waiting for something like this for years! The Windows version shown above is the latest one, 6.0. Mac users will have to settle for 5.0 but I understand an upgrade is in the works. Anyway, if you're not already familiar with this program, go to the Digicel Flipbook site and check it out. Be sure to watch the video that's shown above. 



They also sell animation lessons. They're pricey but when you think about what a semester in art school costs, these prices seem like a downright bargain. 

The site links to animator Jason Ryan's site and he put up a free sample of his animation tutorials using this program. It was pretty impressive.

 

Lite is the basic pencil test program. There are no levels, so you can't put bodies on one level and legs on the other, but the price is right and it's enough to learn the basics on your own at home. I'm assuming that the Lite version still has the exposure sheet on the side bar. 





For artists who want to animate on paper and scan everything in, the autoscan plug-in (above) sounds like a Godsend. If you had a scanner of the right size with an automatic paper feed, you wouldn't have to worry about registering the peg holes, the program would do it for you. 



I thought I'd mention another inexpensive animation program (above): it's called the "Paperless Animation Program (PAP)." There's also an anime animation program, but I know even less about that then the ones I've already mentioned.





Animation programs usually require a Wacom tablet, which if bought new costs $70 or $80 for the small size. Someone told me there's no sense in getting a larger more expensive one if you intend to work on punched paper and scan the drawings in. 

The Bamboo Fun model includes a mouse, but is that really necessary? Does their mouse do something the mouse that's already on your computer can't do? The Cintique allows you to draw directly on the tablet and the picture appears under the pen, just like it does with paper, but that'll set you back $1,000. It depends how you're fixed for dough.

Thanks to Mark Kausler and Michelle Klein-Haas for some of the info here!


21 comments:

Brubaker said...

Sounds cool! Thanks for telling us about it.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the info too Uncle Eddie! I've actually been looking for something like this for years, but I was able to get Flash 8 so there's bound to be someone who is unable to have my good fortune who this is going to really help.

Dead End said...

I'm a big fan of Flipbook, since I do 2D animation on paper. The interface and functions are simple (but not simplistic) and easy to use.

But if you're looking for something free, you can't beat Monkeyjam. It's strictly for pencil testing and not intended for cleanup, coloring or compositing like the more advanced versions of Flipbook are. But it does support multiple levels and 1000 frames per scene. Apparently a lot of the stop motion Lego animators at Brickfilms.com also use it to make their films.

Adam McMahon said...

Hey, what a coinkydink. I have been playing with the Digicel Flipbook demo the last couple of weeks myself. It's a very nice program, very simple and it seems that they designed it so the fact that you are working on a computer won't interrupt the work flow you are used to with pencil and paper.

I'm trying to figure out just how I would be using it though. I think if you are learning the basics, like myself, then you will be doing more pencil tests than final color work. For a simple pencil test, there are free programs out there like MonkeyJam.

http://giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/index.html

If you prefer to draw straight into the computer, then I don't think you can beat Digicel flipbook. I'm curious what you think of it after you have more time to play with program Eddie.

I don't know about you, but with programs like this making 2d animation so accessible I feel very optimistic about the future of independent animation.

Anonymous said...

Don Bluth seems to endorse FlipBook on the extras of the recent "Banjo the Woodpile Cat" DVD. As a basic program, it delivers a lot for the money.

Jennifer said...

Nice review, Uncle Eddie. It's nice to know about the affordable tools out there for budding (and established) animators.

Do you mind if I link to this post?

Craig said...

SIDE NOTE: Hi Eddie. I think you're a Soupy Sales fan, right? I just posted some rare Soupy pictures and etc. on my page:
flexitoon.blogspot.com. Enjoy!

deniseletter said...

You're an authority in animation. Many thanks for these news Eddie!

Anonymous said...

Spiffy!

Vinita said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and found something really nice, but the fact is I know nothing about animation.

Trevor Thompson said...

Where's the link to the video and their site?

Bob said...

great post! Thanks a lot Eddie!

David Holm said...

Pencil is a free animtaion program that is pretty cool. It probably doesn't have all the nice features of flipbook, but it is free and quite simple and useful.

http://www.pencil-animation.org/

El Chongo said...

This program is the tits! Thank you Eddie! If your only looking for a pencil test program monkeyjam is probly all you need. But flip 6 has some amazing features on it that would really speed up an animated short. the click and drag coloring tool, multiple layers, and especially being able to scan finished drawings

Anonymous said...

How about Synfig? It's open source and seems capable enough.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Everybody: Thanks much for the extremely interesting comments! i'm going to look up every pencil test program that's been mentioned here, but it might take me a day or two to do it. Sorry for delay in answering!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Craig: Interesting site! I read it all! Thanks for the link!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer: Sure, go ahead!

Ricardo Cantoral said...

Thanks Eddie. This will go great with some animation books I am buying

Anonymous said...

I like Pencil (an open source digital 2D program) that I found is easier to use that PAP and TOTALLY FREE. It's open source and it's amazing. Digicel is great to for fast shoots and is very easy to use but it's also limmiting, especially on the color side. ToonBoom is the best for quality stuff, but it's also expensive as hell.

film animation said...

I am fan of animation your stuff is Beautiful!! I just wondering of showing affordable animation program Eddie!! I want to subscribe your RSS Feed for my collection!