Sunday, March 15, 2009

WHAT 1979 THOUGHT 2009 WOULD BE LIKE


Austin "Oppo" Papageorge wrote to ask me what I thought 2009 would be like when I was breathing the air and walking the halls of 1979.  Wow! An interesting question! Most of my predictions from that year had to do with animation and cartooning because '79 was the year I got my first animation job.  Only about half my predictions came true, but maybe that's a higher average than some can claim.

BTW, the pictures I'm using to illustrate this are all from 1979...well, 1977 in the case of the "Saturday Night Fever" poster, but let's not quibble. None of them have to do with animation, but I thought they might make it easier for the reader to imagine himself back in the day, strutting down the street like Superfly, and and nurturing his mullet. 


Actually I remember the predictions that failed more than I remember the ones that succeeded. I had no idea that anime would become as popular in this country as it did. I thought it would never appeal to more than a niche market. The early anime shows like Astro Boy were shot on 6's and it would have been inconceivable to me that something that jerky would sell. 

Not only that but a lot of anime had to do with earnest and idealistic heroes, something that seemed out of sync with the anti-heroes and decadent irony that abounded in 1979. I'm earnest myself, and had no trouble relating to idealistic heroes, but I doubted whether the rest of America could be persuaded to feel the same way.  I was wrong.  Apparently there were a lot more earnest people than I thought, and anime swept the country.  I learned two big lessons from that: 1) trust that people like and will always like stories and adventure, and 2) verve and imagination trump slick production values. 
 


Musically what was going on that year was Punk, Disco and break dancing. Break dancing wasn't associated with racial politics, crime and drugs the way hip hop was later on. In 1979 it was fun and exciting and everybody wondered what would become of it.  I predicted that black animators would bring a fresh, funny rap  sensibility to animation, but it never happened.  Most black animators I know prefer classical Disney, Marvel or Hanna Barbera.  



Video tape recorders (above) began to appear around this 1979. They were expensive but everybody in the animation industry was chomping at the bit to get one. There wasn't much over-the-counter animation, we just taped cartoons off  TV and endlessly still-framed them.

I thought that video tape recorders would usher in a new golden age of full animation. It was hard to work on the limited TV stuff after seeing in detail what full animation was capable of, and I thought everybody else felt the same way. What I didn't count on was that a lot of young animators grew up with Hanna Barbera, and didn't mind limited animation at all, VHS not withstanding.  


I remember that most people in the industry weren't too bothered when ink and paint began to go overseas in this period. The feeling was that boring non-creative jobs were unsavable. Lots of older animators told me that we need never fear that the Asians would take away our creative jobs because they grew up in authoritarian societies where creativity was discouraged. They assured me that the outsourcing would stop with ink and paint. I accurately predicted that the outsourcing would go way beyond ink and paint, and I felt terrible for the painters.



 In 1979 and the early 80s absolutely nobody I talked to foresaw the computer revolution that would usher in 3D animation and threaten the very existence of cartooning. Back then it was believed that computers would actually make the 2D industry healthier by lowering the outrageous cost of coloring the drawings. Some artists imagined that the American ink and painters would get their jobs back when it became cheaper to do coloring here on computers, rather than overseas, with manual labor.  It never occurred to anyone that people overseas could buy computers too. 



I also predicted wrongly that funny, cartoony animation would drive out the superhero stuff. It did for a while but anime gave superheroes new life, and retro design with a graphic emphasis drove out a lot of the looser, cartoony look. I thought late 70s cartoons like Get a Job, The Big Snit, and The Cat Came Back would usher in a new look but that revolution fizzled out for some reason that I still don't understand. 

I was completely blindsided by the near collapse of funny cartooning starting in the 90s. In retrospect it's not hard to figure what caused it: young artists felt they were more likely to get a job with computing skills than with drawing skills, so cartoon drawing withered on the vine for a while. I say "for a while" because it's made, and is still making, a comeback. Study cartooning...if you're good, you definitely will be able to make a living from it! Thank God for John Kricfalusi, Ralph Bakshi, Gary Larsson and others who kept the torch burning during the lean years! 



As an afterthought, I'll mention that art as a whole was beginning to suffer by 1979. Actually the rot had set in earlier but by 1979 the secret was out and there was no denying that something was wrong. It just wasn't fun to go to a museum anymore.



In '79 super-realism was still in the air. That's not a photograph of a car above, that's an oil painting. 



Nice old buildings were routinely replaced by blank concrete slabs (above) and parking lots.



Galleries went in for cold, geometrical stuff. The art magazines and art schools were full of it.


Every museum had exhibitions of dirt and broken glass.

These abominations are still with us, but there's a feeling in the air that all this clutter is somehow out of step with the times. That's a good sign, a very good sign. My prediction for animation and cartooning in the next ten years: the big corporations will support safe and slick films, which will cause them to atrophy. It's beginning to look more and more like the future of really fun animation and cartooning lies with the independents. Gear up for it, sharpen your skills, and don't let anybody talk you out of ideas that are good and really mean something to you. The next ten years are going to be very interesting!  




28 comments:

Brubaker said...

Wow, some interesting predictions.

Good point about how people who grew up with the seventies Hanna-Barbera stuff not minding limited-animation.

In the 90s we had shows like "Ren & Stimpy", "Rocko's Modern Life" and "Cow and Chicken" filling the role for the "cartoony" lineup. Plus all the classic "Looney Tunes" were still being aired daily. People who watched all that when they were kids are entering animation for the first time as we speak and it's plausible that some of them will pitch a show to networks that's inspired by them.

One thing I know about 1979 is that regular distribution of short cartoons to theaters officially died. DePatie-Freleng, for all its faults, deserves some kudos for being the last studio to make cartoons for theaters, and when the last of the Pink Panther shorts got released, we never had a regular series in theaters ever again.

Brubaker said...

Sorry to double post, but I just realized.

You mentioned the ink and paint job going overseas. Well, as some of us knows, Ralph Bakshi began his career in animation working as a cel painter for Terrytoons. He joined right around the time Gene Deitch was in charge, changing the look of the studio to be more modern and up-to-date (including creating new characters and getting rid of the old ones).

Ralph worked his way up to an animator status and eventually became a director by the mid-sixties.

If Ralph didn't get that cel painting job, the animation world would've been very sad. And I know Gene Deitch made an impact on him, by thinking outside the box when it comes to making cartoons.

Imagine the opportunities lost when ink and paint went overseas.

Anonymous said...

Curious how theater chains object to running short cartoons because they lengthen their programs yet studio auteur hacks are encouraged (or can't be stopped) from making three hour plus borefests that limit the number of daily feature showings, cramping profits far more seriously. Just look at "Watchmen" tanking right now. That's one expensive chunk of live action fudge, right there.

Hans Flagon said...

Eddie, has anyone ever told you what a beacon of optimism you are? What a treasure!

Craig said...

Ahhhhhhh, 1979. I remember it like it was 30 years ago.
Off-topic but:
You know I'm a puppeteer and my company Flexitoon, designs, build and performs puppet characters on television, commercials and films, so my concerns brush up against animators concerns. I found this very interesting article in BOARDS magazine that I want to pass on to you and your readers:
http://www.boardsmag.com/articles/magazine/20090301/guruanimation.html?word=cute&word=dead

David Germain said...

don't let anybody talk you out of ideas that are good and really mean something to you.

There was once an anonymous blogger who went by the name Anibator (or something like that) who had the opposite advice. He said something like "stop showing people your TV show ideas. They're terrible." How productive is that "can't win / don't try" type of advice? I agreed with some of his(?) points but on that one I think he had it ass backwards. We need more ideas, not less.

Austin Papageorge said...

Oh Wow! Thanks for basing a whole post on one of my ideas!

Next time you do that, use my full name.

Austin "oppo" Papageorge.


Thanks!

Austin Papageorge said...

On second thought, let me be more direct.


Pleae, Eddie use my full name in the post!

That is all.

Anonymous said...

Interesting predictions.

In that yearbook photo, are you one of the gentlemen sporting the classic mullet? The fourth guy to the right from the first row looks eerily like you.

pappy d said...

I would never have guessed in 1979 that Disney would still be around. I was confident that humanity would come to its senses & I wouldn't be hearing disco music in the 21st century.

I thought for sure I'd have my flying car by now, even if it was Japanese.

Anonymous said...

The 90's are an underrated decade. The 2000s seiously suck.

Anonymous said...

Watch out, funk's about

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Hans: Thanks for the compliment!

Oppo: ???? What's wrong with "Oppo?"

Anon: Thanks for the link! That was a fun listen!

Anon: Yeah, I heard some bad things about "Watchmen!"

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Craig: Interesting article! I don't mind having so many characters that never make the final cut. Old newspapers were full of character names that no one today ever heard of. It's a sign that people are out there doing things!

Spumkin: I don't know...I can't see much resemblance!

Keylee Daud said...

haha..wow..awesomne..i love ..really2 love this post...hahaha

Austin Papageorge said...

"Oppo: ???? What's wrong with "Oppo?""


Well, I've decided to be less anonymous on the internet.


But please call me just old "oppo" in the comments section.


Nice post by the way.

Anonymous said...

Eddie, remember a TV show called THE NAME OF THE GAME? It was a revolving series of made-for-TV movies, much like NBC's MYSTERY THEATER, only the premise was all the starts of the movies were working for a major news magazine which was published by Gene Barry.

Back in 1967 they did a really interesting episode called L.A. 2017, written by Philip Wylie and directed by some young kid named Spielberg. It predicted a corporate ruled american where people wee forced to live underground since pollution had rendered the surface uninhabitable. One funny sequence had elderly hippies still listening to flower power music!

Kali Fontecchio said...

Devo predicted the future in 1979!

Rossco said...

Hi Eddie.

This is a great and very important post! Thanks so much for writing it. The optimism expressed in the last portion was especially pleasing and refreshing to see, and was also very encouraging to read.

I agree that the next ten years will produce some surprises. The internet has absolutely boosted these chances. Among the abundant clutter of crap the web has spawned, there are some seeds sown that will bring us into something that we never saw coming. We now have Youtube to easily access the masterpieces of the golden-age of animation from directors Bob Clampett, the Fleischers etc. And when we figure out how to properly distribute on the ‘net we have a free world to broadcast in. I also believe that we'll look back at blogs from yourself and your colleagues (esp. John K, ASIFA, Jerry Beck etc.) as being a kick-start to a new era of animation; looking back and learning from the past glories of cartooning, and an unfiltered place for future inspiration.
I only say this from my personal experience from such blogs, having learned about the history of animation, the great potential for the form and the tools for reaching its heights. And I hope you agree, we can already see a bit of growth coming from it.
We all know that we've got a long way to go but I'm appreciative that these blogs are going and teaching us young pups that we have to work hard at our craft, and take some responsibility for the work, but I too am hopeful that the next ten years will see some fruits grow out here from the availability of all the information we need to get something worthy.

Thanks again.
Rossco

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Rossco: Thanks!

5 said...

BTW, the pictures I'm using to illustrate this are all from 1979...well, 1977 in the case of the "Saturday Night Fever" poster...

The yearbook page is definitely not from '79. The tux and hair styles on the page you're showing is most absolutely from the mid-'80s. Guys didn't wear their hair in mullets as much in '79...they had their hair cut more like Mark Hammill from the first Star Wars movie. Other guys wore their hair like Beaver Cleaver - even in high school back then. The tuxedos had very wide lapels in '79 as well, and the bow ties were bigger than the ones you're showing.

I used to look at my sister's yearbooks from '75-'79 all the time. I loved the weird and funky fashion from back then )I know you don't care for it). Trust me, that yearbook page you posted is probably from '85 or '86.

Also, punk rock wasn't really that popular in most parts of the US back in '79. Maybe in California and New York, but not most places. When the Sex Pistols came through our city they were practically booed off stage. Album Oriented Rock was a lot bigger than Punk Rock.

Oh, and break dancing didn't really catch on until the early '80s.

I hate to nitpick, but I grew up during that era.

Ricardo Cantoral said...

Watchmen was actually not all that bad but it has a few flaws. I am sorry, but I can't take poor rip offs of DC characters and be so straight faced with them. I also couldn't stand the obnoxius directing and music.

Acetate (Frank Ziegler) said...

What a great post Eddie. I agree with most all of it as I grew up during those times. I graduated from High school in 78. I too remember most of the failed predictions ! I still have old issues of Omni, Future magazine, and Popular science filled with electric or flying cars !....I'm still waiting.

5 said...

What I didn't count on was that a lot of young animators grew up with Hanna Barbera, and didn't mind limited animation at all, VHS not withstanding.

That's true. Some of my favorite cartoons were Hanna Barbaras' from the late '60s and '70s: The Hillbilly Bears; Scooby Doo; Josie and the Pussycats; Super Friends; Speed Buggy; Hong Kong Phooey; Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch; Jabberjaw...stuff like that. I also liked some of the Filmation stuff like Fat Albert..and all the DePatie Freleng cartoons (Tijuana Toads, Mister Jaw, Pink Panther, etc).

I also enjoyed older limited animation shows like the ones Jay Ward put together.

There's a different vibe you can get with limited animation that you can't with full animation. It's a lot more symbolic and abstract. I enjoy that.

Besides limited animation like I've mentioned, I also really am obsessed with magazine (mostly from the '50s to the early '80s) and would love if there was a network where they made limited animation cartoons in the MAD mag style. The closest person I've seen come to that type of animation (other than the ones on MAD TV) is David Gemmill.

Viva la difference! :)

Unknown said...

This is my first time reading here and I'm glad to say I'll be back.

Brubaker said...

Brian,

There was a MAD Magazine TV Special from the seventies. Here's an opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4NrRZc4cuw

The special never aired. The network executive thought it was too raunchy for TV (again, this was made in 1970s). But a bootleg video somehow ended up in trader's circut.

Yeah, I love the DePatie-Freleng cartoons, too. They're not GREAT, but their theatrical cartoons were better than what the other studios were producing at the time. Their animation has a neat campy feel, too, because they were trying to create semi-full animation on a limited animation budget (at least, until the early seventies when the quality degraded to Sat. AM level)

5 said...

Thank you for telling me about that, Brubaker! Pretty cool stuff. A bit cluttered and too much detail for animation, but I still like the basic idea!

Thanks again! :)

Btw, good to know someone else appreciates the Depatie Freleng cartoons. ;)

Mattieshoe said...

Now all we have to do is get rid of Jeffrey Katzenberg