Saturday, December 16, 2006

A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR EVERONE ON THE BLOG

Here it is, a detail of "Clara Serena Rubens" by Peter Paul Rubens, circa 1614. Be sure to click to enlarge. Rubens made this portrait of his daughter when she was about five years old. She died when she was twelve.

The book I got this from, "Rubens A Master in the Making", calls this one of the freshest portraits in all of Western art and I know of no reason to disagree. Rubens was an amazing guy. He always painted the greatness in man. Never anything shabby or second-rate.

Here also is my Christmas card to every one courtesy of Vincent Waller. Thanks Vincent, and Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.elfyourself.com/?userid=d46d1179b2cbbd0ec2f5e30G06121418

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful portrait Uncle Eddie. But a special thanks for that hugely entertaining Christmas Card!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Matt Jones said...

Yup, this portrait is breath-taking. I actually saw it at the exhibition that the book you have accompanied. Check out my post on it here:
http://mattjonezanimation.blogspot.com/2006/01/london-exhibitions.html

David Holm said...

Thanks for your very enjoyable blog this year and Merry christmas!

Anonymous said...

Happy natal anniversary!

-and judging from your buddy's blog you don't look a day over 29. ; )
I hope it was the fun-nest ever!
Your pal,
Jenny

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Everybody: Thanks for the good cheer! Merry Christmas to you too!

Matt: I read your article and I'm envious! I wish I could have seen the real versions of these pictures!

Jenny: Have a truly great Christmas! And post a picture of your Christmas tree! One of these days I'll do a Christmas tree solely decorated with artistic mementoes of the past year!